No Pants 2k9 Details for NYC

Last year’s No Pants Subway Ride

All are invited to participate in the 8th Annual No Pants! Subway Ride. The event will take place at 3:00 PM on Saturday, January 10. Everything you need to know is in this post. Please read it carefully!

1) Willing to take pants off on subway
2) Able to keep a straight face about it

When: Saturday, January 10 at 3:00 PM, Sharp! (Over by around 5:30)
Where: Meet at Foley Square at the black sculpture/fountain. It’s near the Brooklyn Bridge 6 train stop, between Centre and Lafayette, just north of Duane. (Google Map)
Bring: A backpack and a metro card.
Do not bring: A camera (we’ll have several photographers on hand)
Wear: Normal winter clothes (hat, gloves, etc)
Facebook: You can RSVP to the Facebook Event
After Party: For those over 21, there will be an official No Pants after party at Sidebar, 15th Street and Irving Place. First drink is free if you arrive without pants.

Complete logistics below:

We will assemble in Foley Square at 3 PM. Please be on time. Feel free to be early.

When we’re organized, we will all head down to several nearby subway stations. Do not talk to others once you enter the subway system. No one knows each other. We will wait for a train to arrive on the uptown side of the tracks and all board our assigned cars (follow your team leader). We may let one train go before entering to make sure everyone is ready.

Sit in the car as you normally would. Read a magazine or whatever you would normally do. Your team leader will have already divided you into smaller groups, assigning your group a specific stop where you will depants. Sit near your group.

As soon as the doors shut at the stop before yours, stand up and take your pants off and put them in your backpack. If you’d like to use a briefcase, purse, grocery bag, or whatever instead of a backpack that’s fine too. You are responsible for your own pants and they should be with you at all times. If anyone asks you why you’ve removed your pants, tell them that they were “getting uncomfortable” (or something along those lines.)

Exit the train at your assigned stop and stand on the platform, pantless. You will wait on the platform for the next train to arrive. Stay in the exact same place on the platform so you enter the next train in the same car as you exited the last train.

When you enter , act as you normally would. You do not know any of the other pantless riders. If questioned, tell folks that you “forgot to wear pants” and yes you are “a little cold.” Insist that it is a coincidence that others also forgot their pants. Be nice and friendly and normal.

We will exit the train at a predetermined stop and then repeat the mission back down to Union Square.

You can wear fun underwear if you like, but nothing that screams out, “I wore this because I’m doing a silly stunt.” Wear two pairs of underwear if it makes you feel more comfortable. Don’t wear a thong or anything else that might offend people. Our aim is to make people laugh, not piss them off.

If you haven’t already, please take a moment to read about previous No Pants! Subway Rides.

This is always a blast, and we look forward to seeing you there. You may bring along friends if you like, but make sure they get a chance to read all of these instructions.

See you on the 10th!

(Information for participating in other cities is here.)

114 Responses to No Pants 2k9 Details for NYC

1. Sarah says:

ill be there! can’t wait! it’s my first year! =]

2. Danny says:

Will be my first no pants, second event. See you there!

3. Jacques says:

It’s the little things in life that make you scream….

4. Clara says:

Are females allowed to wear women’s boxer shorts? I really want to participate! Thanks!

5. Smiles says:

Unfortuantely, I won’t be in NY until March.
    Hope you all have a blast!

6. Brian says:

@ Clara: Of course!

7. So says:

looking for a cheap flight from brussels cauz wouldn’t miss it for anything in the world ! See ya ;)

8. Jason "Business-Man #1" Davis says:

Can’t wait to do this again!

And yes Clara, the ladies last year wore a little of everything. Some very conservative, some not as much. So feel free to wear what you’re comfortable in.

It was actually 50/50 men and women last year, so no worries ladies… you’ll have plenty of company.

9. Agent Randy C -2nd year no pants! says:

cant wait for this year. cant wait to be the pantless photo on the 2nd trip!!

10. pkreder says:

It’s #3 for me in the oh-9 pantless ride…can’t wait the last 2 were a blast….

11. Reverend says:

Burning year round…

12. Melanie says:

I have wanted to participate for years!! Caused a no pants day at grad school last year in honor of the event. See you there with bloomers blaring!

13. Jayme says:

Ever since I saw the article in NY Magazine, I’ve wanted to do this. I’m SO excited!!

Plus, it’s the day after my birthday (how old? too old to be doing this!), so, while I won’t be wearing my “birthday suit” it’ll be darned close! :) Wheeeee!

14. painter babu says:

Right on. nothin more satisfying than shakin up the routine with humor.

15. Lydia says:

My middle name is ‘pants off’. I cannot wait to share the love.

16. Kendall says:

Wish I could be there!

17. Tom says:

I shall be there most gloriously!

18. Jason says:

Any chance we can do it on a Sunday next year?

19. Laura Rose says:

I am really looking forward to this event (& to the after party)!! Yeah, Improv Everywhere!! :D

See your undies soon,

20. Linda says:

Oooh, I wish I could be there! Can’t wait for the pics!

21. Sarah says:

I’m from NJ and I’m taking a train into Penn Station (Like I always do when going into the city). Can I catch a subway from Penn Station to Foley Square?

– Sarah

22. Ilya says:

Sarah: from Penn Station you can catch either the [2,3] to park Pl or the [A,C] to Chambers St. both will have you walk a few blocks to get to Foley, about the same distance from both.

also, i cant wait to do this again, last time participated was 2 years ago, and am so excited i can barely keep my pants on (i LOVE puns)

23. urbanathlete says:

I am SO in.

24. Steph says:

My first No Pants event! Can’t wait! Okay, so it’s a good reason to go out and buy some fun underwear too :p

25. pantolones says:

I’m super excited for this! My girlfriend and I will be coming together. I’ve read the rules about not interacting, but I was wondering if that would apply to us. Surely pantless couples can talk and whatnot!

26. Sarah says:

Ilya –

Thanks! That helps a lot! Do you know any good resurtants that aren’t that expensive to sit down and get a bit to eat around that area (Preferably Mexican or Italian)

– Sarah

27. Scott says:

Man i will be out of town until the 15th. Def next year.

28. Tempest says:

CAN’T WAIT!!!!

anybody have sum alterbate suggestions for woman besides panties?
    I’d like 2 keep it classy!

29. Carmen says:

I’m going to wear the biggest boyshorts I can find because I’m semi modest (which sadly will probably not be that big.) Plus, its gonna be cold :) I’m excited!

30. qwerty says:

I’ll be in class till 4 but I hope to see some no pants riders on my way home (on the E)

31. GregS says:

Can’t wait to see everyone again this year. Also looking forward to that free pantless drink. Haha.

32. Anthony says:

When it says repeat the mission down to Union Square, does it mean we get off at our predetermined stop along the return trip to Union Square, then wait for another train going to Union Square, or just ride pantsless all the way to Union without getting off?

33. not may says:

never missed a day of work calling in sick , cause i so cant miss it

34. Autumn says:

Can I be one of the photographers? Please, let me know.

35. Charlie Todd says:

All of the specifics will be explained at the meeting point.

36. Anthony says:

Ok. Thank you.

37. Ray says:

Hey, this is my first year i’m pretty sure i’m gonna do this, it would be cool to meet other people that like doing this kinda stuff.

Only problem is I might have a tough time holding in my laughter, I could probably think of things to keep myself from laughing but it might be hard. Anyone here not been able to hold themselves from laughing before?

38. Jeannette says:

Good luck everyone! This year’s event will be on my birthday, and although I won’t be participating, it’s nice to know that everyone will be taking off their pants that day.

Happy (pants-less) birthday to me!

39. carito says:

ill be there no doubt!!! cant wait!

40. Kristina; says:

So this means that if you are sitting in a train car you are not allowed to speak to your friend that is sitting next to you?

What if it’s just casual conversation?
    Of course, we would act like we both think nothing of the pantsless thing while others are around.

41. Winnie Cooper says:

It’s really not a long time to keep from talking to your friend, girlfriend, pet hamster, whatever. No one’s going to give you a hard time if you do but the idea is that it’s a coincidence that all of these strangers forgot to wear pants.

And anyway, if you’re talking to each other you won’t be able to hear the reactions of people on the train who have no idea what’s going on.

Experience it separately and afterwards you can talk about the crazy things each of you saw.

ps. I can’t wait. I was somewhere in Kansas last year, so this will be #3.

42. Darryl says:

Did you guys catch the latest episode of Law and Order: SVU with guest star Robin Williams? Later in the episode Robin Williams’ group of followers recreated your Grand Central Station frozen-in-time stunt as a “protest.” I smiled when I saw it!

43. Leydy_t says:

44. Sara L. says:

OMG. I can not wait to take my pants off! This is hilarious! I will be there early if anyone wants to compare undies designs with me!!

45. jennnn s says:

if anyone needs a place to crash afterwards, there’s plenty of room on my couch…

46. simon c says:

oohh tiffany, please please touch my hair

(i know i’m in your top 3)

47. Rita says:

If it’s not too cold, I’ll be there, but most likely I can’t keep a straight face, any tips?

48. Lindsay says:

D: i can’t participate this time, but i hope to participate next time! i have a cheerleading competition on saturday, otherwise i would definitely do it.

49. Melissa says:

My roommate showed me you guys’ videos on YouTube and I’ve always wanted to participate! Didn’t think I’d actually get a chance to :) I might show up with my boyfriend on Saturday to take part in the festivities!

50. Agent Nethyr says:

Looking forward to another great year of pantsless fun. Hope to run into some members of red car #9 from last year too!

-Team leader of Red9 last year

The idea is to behave as you normally would, so if you would normally be talking to your girlfriend on the subway (as I assume you would) that’s fine, as long as your conversation topic isn’t “So, how about our lack of pants?”.

51. Alyson says:

I REALLY want to do this and would have so much fun, but none of my friends are willing/able to do it and I’m not so sure about going alone… Is anyone else a first-timer and doesn’t know anyone? Is everyone friendly? (I’m assuming they are just from the nature of the prank and I know we can’t be “friendly” while riding the subway, but you know what I mean… :)

52. Charlie Todd says:

Lots of people come by themselves each year and end up making new friends. It’s usually a very friendly group of people.

53. E Ted says:

This will be my first year. Saw the news clip on the Today show last year. Fun is good and everyone needs something to smile about this year. Has anyone ever said “My doctor told me I need more vitamin D”? That’s my story and i am sticking to it.

54. Ashley says:

Im so excited, This is my 4th year i believe, Ive been to most events they’re always lots fun.

I hope its not too cold on saturday!

55. pp says:

oh dear this is my first year in NYC and in US, and Jan 10th is my 21st birthday. this is definitely something you wanna do on a birthday.
    And my first legal drink will be free!

56. Sarah says:

.. My mom was wondering if she can wear Long Underwear?

– Sarah

57. Jim says:

The weather forcast says there will be some rains on Saturday. I wonder with about 1,300 replied attending on the face book, how many will actually attend if it is really raining outside.
    Anyway, wearing underwear in the rain is quite fun, but I will carry one extra clean underwear in my bag just in case.

On the other hand, in case which there is really more than 1,500 people coming, it maybe necessary for us to enter the subway in two waves. Assume you can fit 30 pantless people in one cart, one entire train will have about 30*10=300 people. So I figure if we are still using three subway lines like in 2008, it may be best to cut each group in two waves to prevent overcrowding on the train.

58. Charlie Todd says:

Long underwear doesn’t really count, but no one is going to care if one of the 1,000+ people is your mom in long underwear. No biggie.

I’m seeing 35 degrees with possible snow. Even it does snow or rain, the real mission is underground, so we’ll be fine. We are figuring out how to handle the large crowd and will definitely be dividing everyone up to avoid overcrowding as best we can.

59. Agent Tony the Lover says:

Hell yeah I am in, even though it will be freezing. Guess it will be that much funnier

60. Ed Moneey says:

Def doing this again this year had a blast last yr…..

61. Mike Fishkin says:

Have to respectfully decline, you dont want to see me without pants….

62. NolaLou says:

Too late to organize anything this year, but New Orleans would be a great No Pants city, it’s usually not that cold here in January, and we could do a No Pants Streetcar ride (we don’t have subways!)

63. tangela says:

Hm. What do y’all think of tights / stockings? Are they frowned upon? [Even sheers?]

64. Dee says:

Awww I totally wish I wasn’t working on Saturday! Are we allowed to show up to the after party if we didn’t actually attend the pantsless subway ride?

65. Sarah says:

It looks like I might not be able to come now because of lots of snow coming this way.. looks like 8 in at the least! =[[

66. Anthony says:

I won’t be able to come, but good luck with the cold to everyone else going. Maybe next year for me.

67. marylou and kris says:

this is a first for us,no snow or rain will keep us from coming. besides kris spent a fortune on new undies……..see you all there!

68. Shay says:

is there a minimum age requirement? I would love to bring my son.

69. Gary says:

My Dutch friend Aldo will be in town. Let’s make it an international event!

70. ALEX says:

71. Vanny says:

For the people wondering how to keep a straight face –
    I too have a hard time to keep from laughing. What I did last year was to take a funny book with me. That way, not only could I hide my face/stop looking occasionally to regain composure, but I would just look like I was chuckling at the book if a giggle or two did happen to slip out.

72. kimba says:

had a blast, will def do it again next year!

73. Wendi says:

I’m so jealous that I live in GA and couldn’t participate. Y’all are TOO funny! Can’t wait to see the pix!

74. Mike says:

Clean undies I guess?

75. Deb says:

Why is it that immature people never want to act immature all by themselves but insist on getting others to participate? Grow up. Riding pantless is not funny. It’s pathetic attention seeking behavior you should have grown out of before junior high.

76. Chris says:

77. MikeD says:

Oh shut up Deb you are probably a ultra-conservative person who has never cut loose in her life. Let those who are capable of doing so have their fun, lol.

78. moe don says:

will try to be there next year

79. Lisa says:

This sounds like it is so much fun! Just too bad I wont be there in New York but I will be there in spirit! And to Deb, lighten up..its just something that is meant to make people smile. By the way, I am 40 and if I was in the city, you are damn right, I’d be right there too to join in the fun :) So if that makes me immature, so be it.

80. Bebop says:

I wish I could do this stuff but I live on the West Coast! =[

81. dumbass says:

I can’t wait to make a complete ASS of myself with all of you morons

82. Deb is on target. No wonder our country is deep in dodo. Our pioneer forefathers worked so hard to leave us a better life, and morons like this are the ungrateful recipients. Grow up, kiddies!

83. lieudvejgrint says:

Childish. Immature. Dim-witted examples of the dumbacracy Bush has shaped and programmed you “look-at-me” generation robots into. If you were really funny, you would do something yourself. by yourself. for yourself. instead of a beavis n butthead crew to laugh and egg you fleshlights on.

84. Kimberly says:

Oh , Deb . If you thought this was so immature , then why’d you bother coming onto this page to be a party pooper ? I mean , if you don’t want to do it fine , but don’t make everyone else feel “jr . high-ish” by acting high and mighty yourself . I suppose if you got your undies out of your bottom , you would have just as much fun as the rest of us .

85. Jarret Clark says:

Wow you certainly have support from our Scots ven an South African one like me, but I believe ol Jacobites like me would not need to wear some short-pants under me kilt when I sould board, need I?

86. Martinize says:

Gotta side with Deb and the other ‘ultra-conservatives’ on this one. This pointless stunt begs the question, “Why?” Childishness does not become any less childish just because a bunch of people do it. If you want to make a statement, do something constructive.

87. Will Lands says:

Sounds like a blast.
    Unfortunately, I’m in Albuquerque NM, nit in the NY/NJ area any longer. But, maybe I’ll take a bus ride tomorrow and test the crowd. I do wish I could be there!

88. Diesel says:

I cant believe the puzzled looks on the New Yorker’s faces. You’d think they had seen everything.

89. Mary Carroll says:

You guys are all great! I wish I could have been there! Watching last year’s video just now made me laugh and cry all at once. Thanks for the smile that I cannot wipe off of my face now!

90. Charlie Todd says:

We’re on the front page of MSN and it links to this post. So that’s where the negative commenters are coming from!

91. Ben Gruder says:

What a hoot! Even went home to NJ solo without the pants. Will have to work on the calves for next year.

92. jj3007896 says:

Stupid new yorkers. Another pathetic attempt for those weirdos to say “hey, please look at me”. Desperate for attention, I guess. What was the point of this silly stunt? They should use that organization to try and do something to help the sick, homeless, jobless. NY stinks!

93. George says:

To each their own. Why do people care what others do if it does no harm to anyone? What is wrong with bringing a little fun and humour to a city that could use some laughter. Who said growing up meant growing old? To the haters on this forum…..must be so sad to be you that you need to come on here and be so negative. I am sure there are some skeletons in your closet you wouldnt want shared so dont point fingers at other people for making one day in New York City a little less ho-hum. In other words,”get a life”

94. SD Mom says:

I hope it went well! Just so you know, I’m an “ultra-conservative” who thinks this sounds hilarious. Hats (or pants) off to those who seem to have planned it so well!

95. DennisA says:

In this event the participants are dressed but just show their underwear. You see more on a beach in summer, and at a Victorias secret modeling show.
    As long as everyone behaves properly and there is no overt nudity; if thats how they wish to express themselves, then let these kids have fun. We have far more important things to worry about than people riding the subways in their boxer shorts and panties.

96. Brent says:

To the “ultra-conservatives”. Who cares if it seems kid-ish to you? Atleast they aren’t killing your stupid honor student.

97. Vincent says:

way better then last year
    i love living here and being able to do all these things
    great i went blank and cant think of anythign to say about the day

it was awsome

98. Joseph says:

Please do not this pants off. Do you all want to stimulate the sexual desire on all peoples which will create infidelity each other, subsquently, spoil the family especially the children. Family is the foundation of the society. Spoil family which will broke the society. In other ways, other place who have good society will destroy your weak society.

99. LJ says:

I thinks it’s a great idea. I wish some people would relax and have a bit of fun once and a while. We all need some comic relief during these stressful times.

100. Mike B says:

I am indifferent to this. I live in Omaha Nebraska, my wife is from N.Y. We visited there last summer. To visit Ma. LOVE N.Y.! New Yorkers are the greatest! Looking forward to my next visit. Anyone wanna help us with expenses to get there?
    When seeing this video, I said to my wife, “only in New York”! But I thought it was great. Anywhere else this was to happen, people would be arrested for indecent exposure. People all over should loosen up a little bit and have some fun!

101. Jeannette says:

What’s wrong with doing something just for fun. I am an ultra-conservative and think with all the other junk that going on in the world today just do something for fun. Do we always have to accomplish something. NO! Just have fun, wish I lived close enough to do it. It might not be a pretty sight for an old lady to be seen in her undies but it would be a blast!

102. peter heron says:

We don’t have better things than this to do; bringing smiles, inanitty, joy to each other’s lifes.
    live ir, thank toy

Sir Peter Heron/The Knight in Shining Armor

103. Hope Everyone had fun!

To the great group of 20-30 people from Revival Bar who followed me to karaoke at Sing Sing… You guys rule!

Send me a message; we’ll share the pictures everyone took and set up another party soon.

(click on my name for link)

104. Geoffrey says:

How boring you mass bohemians are. Your time would be better spent whittling twigs.

105. Hannah says:

omg, best time EVER. my friend and i had a whole skit worked out that we performed, and not only that, after convening in Union Square, my boyfriend, best friend matt and I rode back to Grand Central Station with no pants, and all the way back to Southeast with no pants. What? we go used to no pants and decided we didnt feel like putting them back on. lol. So much fun. Am DEFINITELY going to participate next year. Maybe get this going at my catholic college? lo

106. Pantsman says:

Check out this hilarious account of No Pants 2k9 by a Pants company!

107. Jasmine says:

really cool but not that cool without my pants on…

108. LittleMissHippie says:

dammit, i wish i was there!

109. COREY COREY says:

I JUST heard about this event and missed it, but next year (and from no on, wether-permitting) I WILL be out there representing brothers from Brooklyn who are truly brave and confident enough to drop their pants in public! Happy NUDE year!

110. Demetrius Petrov says:

I am coming to live in NYC after January 20th, 2009 and I want
    to participate in all future events. Please put me on your e-mail
    list to notify me. I was very active in Performance arts for many years, and this is just great!

111. Thanks thanks thanks! I was looking for something along lines of this for hours and couldn’t find it.Will definitely subscribe and drop a word about the site!Cheers :)