Food Court Musical

(YouTube link)
song by Scott Brown and Anthony King; arranged by Jamie Laboz

For our latest mission, 16 agents staged a spontaneous musical in the food court of a Los Angeles shopping mall. We used wireless microphones to amplify the vocal performances and mix them together with the music through the mall’s PA system. We filmed the mission with hidden cameras, mostly behind two-way mirrors. Apart from our performers, no one in the food court was aware of what was happening. Enjoy the video first and then go behind the scenes with our report below.

Watch all of our other musicals!

Featuring: Agents Campbell, Cowan, Brister, Caldwell, Sutton, Ahn, Park, Nwaeze, Jervier, Thorn, Fair, Costelo, Grimm, Perube, LaBarr, Appel, Todd
Digital Video: Agent Carbone
Choreography: Agent Tallaksen

We’ve had tons of ideas emailed to us over the years. Out of all of them, one stands out as the absolute most suggested: “You know how it’s weird in musicals that people just break out into song for no reason? You guys should stage a musical like that in a public place.” We’ve probably gotten over 100 emails just like that. Well, we finally decided it was time to make it happen.

It should be noted that staging a musical in a public place is not a new idea. It’s been done before by several groups, the most popular of which took place in a lecture hall, staged several years ago by the old Columbia University group, Prangstgrup.

We wanted to create an original song for this mission, so I turned to Agents Brown and King, longtime Improv Everywhere Agents and writers of the hit Off-Broadway show, Gutenberg! The Musical!

Unfortunately there are very few photos from this mission. It took place in Los Angeles, so our normal photographers were not around. We decided to focus on getting the best video possible, and photography was sadly left out. We do have a few photos of our rehearsal process.

Agent Tallaksen leads rehearsal

We met the day before to rehearse the song and learn the choreography. Agent Tallaksen did an excellent job as the choreographer, bringing the song to life and adding in ridiculously hilarious blocking. Since we are not based out of LA, and this mission took place before our new global site was launched, we had to do a bit of searching to find the right agents. A few were personal friends of mine, a few were actors from the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre in LA, and some answered a casting call on craigslist. The mall we chose is in the middle of downtown LA and is very racially diverse. It was important to us to have an equal amount of diversity in the cast.

Typically Improv Everywhere does not ask for permission from the location where we are staging our mission. This was a rare exception. By working with the mall we would gain incredible access and be able to make the experience for the food court patrons all the more awesome. The mall let us rehearse the song the night before after they had closed.

We were able to test out our blocking and make sure it worked with the food court layout. The mall let us patch the performers microphones and the music into their PA system, which would make the performance loud and clear for everyone there. We were also able to install two-way mirrors in several spots to enable us to film the mission with our cameras completely hidden, again making the experience for those who would witness it all the more unique.

There is a hidden camera hiding behind the tinted glass in the door above.

The mall got us in touch with the folks from Hot Dog on a Stick, a west-coast corndog chain that had a location in the food court. The chain loaned us one of their uniforms for Agent Campbell to wear, and gave her access to behind the counter. Hilariously, Agent Campbell ended up having to actually help several customers as we were waiting for the mission to begin.

While the management of both the mall and Hot Dog on a Stick were aware of what we were doing, they kept the mission a secret from everyone else. All of the employees of the other food court establishments had absolutely no idea that our musical was going to take place.

The execution of the mission itself was tons of fun. It was awesome to watch the reactions of the folks sitting and eating as one by one people started joining in on the song. The coolest moment happened when Agent Caldwell broke into song. He was playing the role “janitor” and had actually been clearing trash off of people’s tables for a half-hour leading up to the mission. It was fun to see people realize that the man who had cleaned up their table five minutes ago was now singing in the middle of a musical.

Agent Caldwell

The security guard moment also worked really well. Agent Sutton wore a black “security” jacket that was identical to the real mall security. You could feel the tension grow after he entered, with everyone assuming he was there to shut down the performance. It was a great misdirect.

Agents Brister and Sutton

There were several agents who got cut out of the video (you can hear their parts in the song included above.) We had three skater punks skate in and sing, a group of young girls did a cheer about napkins, and several more agents posing as regular folks eating joined in for the finale. By the end there were shoppers lined up watching us from the second level, and we got a nice round of applause when we finished. However, there was no bow. Our agents returned to whatever they were doing before the song broke out, as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened.

Mission Accomplished

– Our second musical: Grocery Store Musical
– Our third musical: I Love Lunch! The Musical

-our over 100 other missions can be seen here: Missions
-Subscribe to our YouTube channel, Twitter, and Facebook page.
-We have a book for sale!

442 Responses to Food Court Musical

1. Allen says:

This was hilarious! In a lot of sitcoms, musicals just break out, but seeing one in real life has got to be a little weird. The best part was when Agent Sutton(security) come by and has a serious look on his face, but then starts singing. Great mission.

2. Daniel says:

That was awesome guys. Well done!

3. Massimo Orsini says:

Brilliant! Can’t get enough of you guys.

4. kaekae says:

can we see the whole video sometime?
    I think this one is my favorite so far (or close)

5. E boogie says:

You guys are awesome!
    I loved it!

6. Chris M says:

AWESOME. I love all of the pranks, but this one is in the top 5. :)

7. Al says:

Funny, but not really “improv” is it?

8. Y2K says:

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful in every sense of the word. Well done indeed :D

9. This title sounds like a cross between two Disney films: High School Musical and Full Court Miracle. It’s really funny just for that.

Who came up with the “napkins” topic? That made it even funnier, because even musicals usually have more serious reasons to sing. :D

10. Arthur says:

Oh, that was awesome.

11. James Cobalt says:

Been waiting to see this pulled off like this for years. Bravo!

12. Andrew C. says:

You guys are seriously amazing; I am always impressed! At the end of this song, I actually clapped as if I were there!

Keep up the great work!

13. Allison says:

amazing job!

this is hysterical!!

i’ve sent it on to many friends! (many who love high school musical and other disney comedies where they also just randomly break out in song!)

14. Mal says:

Awesome mission! Love to see/helpout in New York sometime with this kind of thing.

15. Michelle says:

This is by far one of the best missions you guys have ever pulled off. The only way it could have been better would have been if the mall and HDoaS had not been in on it, but that would have been very risky.

I’d like to see the Craig’s List ad.

16. PenguinMan says:

Well done. Too bad there’s no complete video – I’d love to be able to see the missing parts.

17. Meryl says:

Aw. Fantastic. Wish the patrons had given a warmer reception, though. Silly.

18. Jaypoc says:

I can only say Amazing! I have to give props to the Mall and Hot Dog on a Stick for having a sense of humor and really working with you guys to put on this “production”. I hope you’ll consider doing more spontaneous musicals in the future, in different venues, and closer to home (I’m in New York myself!) Great job. I’d say more, but I’m dying to watch that video one more time! :)

19. Chloe K Evil says:

Oh my god, I have said for YEARS that the world needs to be more like a musical. Thank you for proving me right. This was amazing.

20. you guys are great!!! I LOVE what you are doing! Can I be on your mailing list? And I’d love to help out, be included if you need more people involved!!!
    The best!!!

21. Lori says:

a-freakin’-mazing, as always……

..but you might have outdone yourselves this time! ;)

22. Zach! says:

You should upload the full-length version!

Good work!

23. ColleenM says:

That’s awesome! I love that the mall, hot dog on a stick, etc all went along with this. It was so great!!!!

24. Amy H says:

WOW!!!!! So well done :) Great work Mr. T

25. Ben says:

I’m guessing this is for the TV show you were hoping to do. I’m somewhat glad it fell through; while the idea is amusing, the Hollywood editing, voice over, and general Candid Camera knockoff style make it seem much less authentic than your previous missions.

26. JMB says:

I love reading your missions! This was one of the first to have me giggling throughout. I loved the people’s reactions. Brilliant!

My only wish is that someday the full video goes online someday.

27. Pudge says:

I number among the masses who e-mailed agent Todd saying he should do this. Here are photographs from when a few friends and I performed a similar prank in Chicago.

28. Agent Droid says:

WAIT WHAT?! YOU DID A MISSION IN LOS ANGELES?! AWWW MAN! I MISSED OUT! (That said, I was really looking forward to hearing about this one!)

29. Kelly says:

That was hilarious! I’ve always wanted to stage something like this! You guys are awesome!

30. Ben says:

I’ll second the fact that I’d love to see the full video.

PS. Still totally love all your missions. I forwarded this to my friends at the Boston Conservatory (a music / dance school).

31. Spaz muppet says:

I love you! I love you! I love you!

32. Jesse Thorn says:

So proud to have been a part of this! I’d been admiring the movement from the left coast for so many years, it was really an honor to get an invite to participate in a mission from Charlie!

Sorry to see that my big solo (OK, half a line) was cut, but I thought the standout performance was definitely Caldwell as the janitor. Nice guy, too.

My favorite part was working with Agent Talleksen! What a fun guy; he really embraced the broadness of musical theater.

33. Jesse says:

Hey can we get a link to actually download this song?
    iMeem just links to non-existent iTunes and Amazon pages to buy it even though you aren’t actually selling it(Although considering the sheer awesomeness of this song I would gladly pay the 90c to buy it from amazon XD)

34. yes yes yes. to see real reactions to random musical numbers. brilliant

35. Jim Strathmeyer says:

36. Patti says:

Holy wow… that was utterly brilliant! I laughed out loud when the janitor joined into the fray. I’m a huge fan of musical theater, and you guys nailed the whole genre absolutely perfectly. I’m amazed and awed at the writing, the performance, the choreography… everything!

37. Michael Taylor says:

thats amazing stuff!!!
    keep it up!!

38. Georg says:

That was brilliant. Cheers!

39. igor says:

I pretty much want this to happen every day of my life. I am just waiting for it.

40. Alec says:

Haha, that was fantastic! I loved it (^_^)

41. Noelle says:

Wow! Made me cry, I love it! :D

42. Carmelly says:

I’ve been following the IE missions for years now, and I’d been dying to see something like this. Great job guys!

43. Awesome! While a departure from the usual Improv Everywhere setup, this is definitely one of my favorites! It brought a huge smile to my face!

44. Zafmyster says:

Wooow that was amazing. I wish something like that would happen in London. I can’t wait to see what you guys do next. Maybe you should do an impromptus football match in a supermarket…lol the look on the custoemrs faces would be priceless!

45. Doctorsoul says:

The Shot at 3.21 of the little girl smiling brought a tear to my eyes.
    Great improv!

46. kcharm says:

if u liked that u should check out ‘if life were a musical’ on youtube, by an australian comedy group called the chasers war on everything…its pric4eless!!!!

47. WC says:

I had my initial doubts, but after watching the video… That’s the most beautiful thing you guys have done yet. Others still hold the ‘funniest’ title, though. ;) Way to go!

48. Bimokumoro says:

AMAZING!! as usual…Great job guys!!

49. mikemystery says:

That is just about the best thing I have ever seen in my life.

50. Jan Powell says:

This made me burst into tears from the sheer joy of the event. I want to be apart of it.

51. Sylvie says:

This is the greatest thing I’ve ever dream about !! I wish I was living in America to join you and make things like that ! I love that… Tell me if some stuff like that is done in Europe :-D (I’m a swiss girl living in Switzerland)

52. Jen says:

Couldn’t you have done something better for a song?

53. John Pickering says:

Well just wached the food hall musical from here in England. I must say it was absolutely terrific it brought tears to my eyes, you folks over there have got something good going, don’t lose it.

54. tim says:

Charlie “Look the janitor’s still cleaning up”
    You guys have outdone yourselves. This is GENIUS!!!

55. Moe says:

Did that guy say ” he’s the most singingest janitor i ever saw” ? lol!

fantastic guys! I love how everyone was throwing napkins at them but they only stopped when charlie handed them a napkin

56. Mark says:

only have one word for ya’ll.

57. Randy says:

Totally Awesome!! But I feel a little cheated. Why not make the full version available. We didn’t even get to see the ‘singingest janitor ever’ dance!

58. Matt_ says:

The Chaser guys in Australia did “If life where a musical” on nearly every one of thier TV shows last year .

59. Laura says:

You guys are amazing (yeah I know it’s been said before but I wanted to say it too ;) ), I adored this one! I think I’ll steal your idea and stage something like that at my university :P

60. Matt says:

Hey guys, once again, brought a massive smile to my face! Awesome and well done!!

61. Dude says:

Truely Awesome. I Love this Site You bring improvatinal comedyn to a new level. I love it. I would like to see the whole video in it’s entirety. Keep doing what your doing, creating smiles.

62. AeC says:

They gooot…the mustaaard…ooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuut!

63. Holly says:

Yesss! That was incredible!! As a musical theatre major, that just made my week. Those lucky patrons…if something like that happened while I was out, that would have made my life…lol.

Anyway, very inspiring. I’ll have to round up friends and put on our own original musical… :)

64. Amazing! Awesome! You just made my day!

65. You guys always manage to amaze me, this was absolutely hilarious, I loved it! I’d love to have something like this happen while I was around, yet I’m surprised how many of the patrons in the video seemed annoyed rather than amused.

I think the highlight of the clip was the janitor joining in, came out of nowhere. :D

Great job as always!

66. Michelle says:

Love love love. I second the commenter who said he burst into applause at the end, just sitting here and watching online. And I third/fourth/fifth the commenters who are begging for the full-length video. Please? I really want to see the singinest janitor I ever seen become the dancinest janitor I ever seen.

You guys’ work makes me so happy. Seriously, people say “[x] made my day” all the time but this really did. Keep it up. Awesome stuff.

67. Joe says:

Ha, excellent. I’ve been hoping you’d do something like this. Thanks for the laughs, guys!

68. Leon Freilich says:

How many minutes? Seven?

Food court heaven.

69. Kingharvest says:

Wonderful. Just fantastic. Funny and well-written and executed. Broadway awaits!

70. Marcelo Teson says:

I’m not sure, but the guy at the end who says it’s the “singingest janitor I’ve ever seen” looks a LOT like Chester Whitmore, who lives in LA and who is one of the best tap dancers in the world. It’s totally possible that he happened to be at that mall. That would have been fun if he had tap danced too.

71. sygyzy says:

I love how the audience reactions in LA and NY are totally different. In this video, people seemed annoyed or confused but in NY they get really excited and happy.

72. schnippy says:

best stunt yet, I’ve watched this 4-5 times now and can’t get the song out of my head — love it!!

73. Sarah says:

How nervous do you get when you are performing for people who aren’t waiting for a performance?

The performance was brilliant. Thanks for sharing.

74. Andrew says:

This is now my favorite Improv Everywhere. When are we going to see the full video??

75. jakdin says:

This really made my day! The world needs more wonderful people and happy moments like this. Cheers!

76. Goatview says:

Every time I watch this I like it more! What a great stunt and it’s even a really good song. Love the janitor–what a wonderful voice. Security officer was terrific. So was the Mother, the Paper Hat Girl, the guy with mustard on his pants…did I forget anyone? Wow. You all deserve Tonys.

Thanks for the big smile on my face,

77. Nori B says:

That was hilarious! I’ve always loved you guys. That one took some work.

78. Afrosplat says:

Seeing this made my day. In all honesty, it has restored my faith in America. Someone keyed $2k worth of damage to my car at a children’s event for Thomas the Train. I was about to go postal or lock myself in my house. You all are doing gods work.

79. Ondrej says:

That was great – My favorite part was the “uhoh” moment when the security guard shows up, but then starts singing and everyone in the audience seems to relax. Hoping for the full-length video!

80. Carry says:

I’m sorry to say that I am not a fan of musicals. Whenever I see one in a movie, I tend to roll my eyes and pray it’s not too long to give me hives. But this looked like it was tons of fun, not only to put together but to have been able to see it in action as a spectator.

I’m sad we missed the cut bits, I would have loved to have seen that!

81. Nice baby toss Agent Brister. I hope child services doesn’t get wind of this.

82. Jeff Lin says:

Ahhaha, I loved the janitor part. Man, I’ve noticed how great the video quality’s been getting. The years really fly by, don’t they?

83. Jason says:

Wow, that was amazing! I only wish I was one of the people sitting there wondering what was going on.

84. Peter says:

100th Comment!

Wow, this is so funny

85. Marie says:

PRICELESS. hilarious. genius. I love the security guard :)

86. Erika says:

Man that was great. You guys have to do this one in NY too, I want to participate!

Kudos to the mall guys for playing along, and I’d like to add my voice to the requests for the full video! I love the things you guys do. Count me in the next time you do some random fun in NY!

87. Alan says:

You guys rock! Here’s to making the world a less predictable, funnier, more creative and happier place.

88. Agent Mambazo says:

Loved it> FANTASTIK

89. Frank says:

You guys are amazing! Plus the silly songwriting is brilliant.

90. agent bruno says:

I love how Agent Todd just sits and takes it all in, like a father watching the birth of a child. Congrats on a great IE mission.

91. BobH says:

I started watching this expecting to hate it, and actually loved it. Clever, witty — just plain fun. Thank you!!!

92. TAJ says:

Should my faith in musicals as entertainment wane, I will look on this and be restored. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

93. Jill says:

Thanks for making the world a more magical and certainly much more interesting place.

94. Tia says:

THANK YOU, Thank you, for making life fun! My kids thought I was the only one who broke out in song.

95. Haxzaw says:

…not quite the same improv as usual but funny as S@$t!!! nun the less, kudos to the whole improv team for this 1 keep it up guys!

96. RObin says:

that song was freakin’ sweeeeeeeeeet (sung in c minor)

97. Sphenga says:

How did you guys that is my secret fantasy to have my world suddenly turn into a musical? My God, I wish I had been there.

98. hahahahahahha… I loved it! I emailed it to all my friends and family! Loved the look on all the peoples faces. Great performance.

99. KDog says:

Absolutely brilliant. I needed a laugh to end my day.

100. artoodeetoo says:

Where can I get a hi-res version? Can someone post it on Vuze?

101. Chuck says:

Awesome I was cryin I was laughing so hard. Sorry I missed it I am not far from LA. Wish you would do more out here.

102. Peter says:

Just like that episode of Buffy — “Once More with Feeling”.

The mention of mustard is even a bit of an (unintentional?) homage to a particular little number in that show.

Great job!

103. Luis S. says:

Lol the Janitor part was completely hilarious!!!!
    Great song and act!

104. joan says:

How fun! Thanks.

105. Natalie says:

haha i love it you guys are expanding to different states, niceee!

106. Rob says:

this is the best mission you guys have ever done. hands down. even beats the big freeze which was awesome. i would love to see the full video!!

107. George Washington says:

Bravo! Bravo!

108. WOW! Amazing! Best thing I’ve ever seen in my life.

109. Agent AZ Zona says:

Lemon for Lemon, Straw to Straw, Fork to chopstick, look for look, pound for pound, note for note and serviette to serviette, this was a great fast food operetta! Ting! Should have wrapped with a triangle! Too bad Moon Unit Zappa wasn’t there for a nosh. My napkin flies for you!

Like TOTALLY!

110. Krista says:

I’ve always wanted life to be a musical! Wish I could have been there!

111. Remember this? says:

Here are some ideas that we get all the time and will probably never do for reasons indicated:

1. Do a spotaneous musical on the streets or some other public place (This has been done before way too many times.)

112. Agent StalePhish says:

Astonishing! I can’t believe you pulled it off so smoothly!

113. Donkey says:

114. alba posters says:

How creative! I bet this was hilarious to see in person. My mall’s food court sucks.

115. Dmitri says:

Please, please, upload the whole performance? It’s a shame to have to cut out so much. :(

116. Graeme says:

this is the most glorious thing that has ever happened

117. FPM says:

I used to perform in Food Court Musical Improvs when i was a homeless rodeo clown but not any more. Now I am a world class magician !

118. Marc says:

I love your stuff but… doesn’t this defeat the idea of ‘improv’? Maybe it’s my west coast bias showing, but this looks like a pilot for a reality show. It was more like ‘Cameras Everywhere’.

119. SSA says:

First time here, and THIS WAS GREAT!!!!

You guys are on Digg, too.

120. CWCoonce says:

I have a new favorite website!
    Very entertaining!
    Great imagination.

121. Rich S says:

Freaking. Awesome! :D

It looks so professional too! o_0 My compliments to the composers!

122. Ana says:

I can’t believe you had an LA mission and I didn’t even know about it. And a musical, no less! Wish I could have been a part of it because this was truly hilarious.

123. Brian Potter says:

You are such an inspiration! I was going to do a massive fake marriage proposal with tons of people at a local mall until someone who works at mall security found out about it and I had to cancel the event. Thanks for doing what you do and creating exceptional experiences!

124. Charlie Todd says:

@Remember This?

Note the word “probably.” :)

What did you use to find that? The Way Back Machine? Busted.

125. Mani Gandham says:

Hilarious and utterly amazing!!! hahaha thank you for doing this! Only wish I could’ve been there to see it all

126. TaiwanJohn says:

Fantabulous! What’s up w the peeps eating tho? many of them look almost upset, if I had been there I probably would’ve broken out singin myself! (then the crowd would really have been angry) Super Awesome-O!!

127. InkGypsy says:

This was why I came to America – the land of the Musical! Apparently I should go to the mall more often though… can’t believe I missed it (though in my defense LA is a big place). Brilliant stuff. More please!

128. Thoams says:

Genius! I would love to be a part of something like this…

129. matt says:

brought tears to my eyes; hilarious!

130. Tim says:

Awesome work! My favourite mission thus far. You guys rock.

131. ksklein says:

wow. what a cool video!

132. Jason says:

Nice work, guys!

Reminded me of that scene in ‘Enchanted’ when a full-blown musical breaks out in Central Park.

133. trish says:

This is hilarious!

134. Kerry says:

That is the most fantastic thing I have ever seen!!!

135. beatlebug says:

Best part… the janitor! I thought he was one of the “unaware” until he bursted into song… that was definitely one of the funniest!

136. Drew says:

I really hope I’m an unsuspecting spectator for an IE event at some point in my life. What a blast! This one moves right up my list of favorites, great job guys. Thanks for doing this Charlie & gang and thanks for making them better and better (well, except for the Moebius, they don’t get better than that).

137. Nikki says:

That was fantastic!

138. Marc B says:

I’m speechless. Brilliant, Mr. Charlie Todd, brilliant. :) Nice job on the casting too.

139. Jon says:

do you guys have the full video of the musical? I really want to see the entire thing

140. heather says:

Finally someone pulls off something great like this! Bravo guys! The funniest part was watching the WTF faces of all of the people not involved.

141. pgpmadrid says:

This is that the world needs. GREAT!!!

More laughts. More love.

142. Karen Brown says:

That is great! I love it!

143. N says:

You should put out a long version of the video. It sounds like the other parts would make it a lot cooler.

144. M.C. Router says:

They need to come to Houston Texas

145. Betty says:

The first thing I thought of as well was Buffy – “Once More With Feeling.” Love it. I don’t think the permission factor torched this at all. I would just consider the mall connections honorary agents. It’s all about the people’s reactions. I think everyone did a fabulous job. Thanks for sharing.

146. nik says:

Awesome job guys!!! Best thing I’ve seen in a while.

147. Martí says:

your site is awesome! Greetings from Barcelona, Catalonia!

148. Dan R. says:

Utterly fantastic! You guys are awesome!

149. Oscar says:

Will you ever post the entire show?

150. nadadenada says:

very incredible and funny, i like all your videos, i have only a petition, you would be able to put subtitles (in english) to some video? the deaf people and the people who can read english but can´t understand a conversation will be thanked

151. Jobra says:

WAoOw! so fucking good! it makes me cry!

152. suzi says:

My son directed me to your site because I’m extremely stresed right now. He said I needed a laugh and boy did I get one. Loved this video and I plan to watch the others soon. THANKS

153. Alouise says:

As a huge fan of musicals, I’ve often wished that real life were like a musical… people singing and dancing over simple everyday matters. This performance was awesome, I loved every minute of it. This is my first time to your site, and I look forward to seeing more improve projects. Great job.

154. IE Junkie says:

Standing ovation!

155. Peter says:

Bravo!! Bravo!! Bravo!!

So beautiful, so funny, so uplifting.

You guys are so dear.

Thank you for spreading happiness around. “Engaier” in French, which translates to, well, “gayifying.”

Thank you for proving that even a place as dreary as a shopping mall can be gayified.

156. theodora says:

beautiful! I am SO proud to be a human right now, and this is a rare thing feeling indeed! I hope you do a sequel. Or 4.

157. Congratulations guys. I love these artistic perfomance. In fact, for me it directly links with the very essence of Middle Age minstrelsy and jongleurs. Keep up the good work!

158. Ruth says:

I’m too old to comment

159. Chris says:

Odd, I was just saying to my mates at the weekend how much better would the world be if people just spontaneously broke out into song and dance for no reason like in movies.
    Loved it.

160. Fred says:

AWESOME! Loved the expression on people’s faces. Two thumbs up for the Security guy!!

161. spanish says:

me ha encantado, enhorabuena

162. George says:

Good work,
    But I’ve got to say that an Aussie TV show has been doing this since 2005-6.
    The show is called The Chaser’s War on Everything, it’s probably one of the best comedy news satire programs ever made.

Check out

for there segment “If life were a musical”
    Cheers all

163. MaryW says:

Seattle. Please come to Seattle. Please…

Thanks for this–great job!

164. Rob says:

Beautiful, wonderful. You amaze me every time.

165. NotNits says:

I can’t tell you how happy this made me.

166. rodrigot says:

Thank you so much.

167. Dale says:

That was fantastic! I love seeing the people’s faces as this is going on.

168. jennifer says:

Oh it was fantastic!

I hope this type of improvisations in Spain! :p I would participate too

169. Scott says:

please put the ull length version up.

170. sano slovakia says:

very goooooooooood

171. badgerbag says:

I’ve always wanted to see that happen! Thank you, thank you! It was fanfuckingtastic.

172. John says:

Even though improv and musicals are both kinda gay, you guys did a great job!

173. Mike L says:

The sad part for me is that I live about 2 minutes away from Baldwin Hills mall, and I’ve been kicking around the idea of trying to do an IE:LA type event for a few months now… and I MISSED THIS!

I want to cry.

GREAT job everyone! I hope you do more stuff in LA and that I can find out about it in time to participate.

174. @John: Very good. “Gay” is not an appropriate term to use to describe things you wouldn’t do yourself. As one Facebook group puts it, “‘Gay’ is not a synonym for ‘stupid'”.

175. Oh, that was frigging BRILLIANT! What this sad, bitter old world of ours desperately needs is more Improv Everywhere. You guys are the greatest.

176. Heidi says:

This is awesome! So enjoyable!!!

177. Katie says:

I love this video, it’s defintly one of my favorites along with the MP3 expirament, and the grand central station. What would make it better would an extended version, where we could see the skater dudes and the cheerleaders, and the dancing part. Please do that!

178. Zingara says:

You guys are legends.

179. Arno says:

C’est énorme !!!!

180. RR says:

This is spectacular. I love it. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us see the full version.

181. Guy says:

This was absolutely amazing! It has been my dream for something like that to actually happen in front of me! I love it! I am so sad that I wasn’t there at that mall wondering what the hell was going on! Great job guys!

182. Frank says:

HO MY GOD!! That’s SOOO good!! I always wanted to see something like this!! SOOOO HOT!!!! I need to do this one day! Is there a way that we could see the whole clip? With the skaters and the girls! PLEASE!!!!!

183. Michael says:

This is amazing. imrpov everywhere ftw.

184. J.S says:

seriously awesome!

185. Kayla says:

I just keep wondering why real life can’t be like this!

Brilliant job everyone!

186. Seb says:

Great performance!! The janitor was the best character out of the ‘musical’ – hilarious with a really good voice!

187. Nando says:

OMG! just AWESOME! i wish i could see you on live someday jajaja keep on with the great job!

greetings from spain!

188. Trevor says:

I think i might have been one of the people to email you the idea (i thought you should do it in a grocery store)
    Awsome job!!!

189. J. Spencer says:

You guys are freakin’ awesome – no kidding. This stuff blows me away every time!

190. mle says:

Cool, but not really improv, is it? I’m a little dissapointed.

191. Charles says:

You guys should at least credit the dudes that had this idea. Ok I will! .. in like 2002…

192. Charlie Todd says:

@Charles – You should at least read the mission report before commenting on it.

193. Allan says:

this is great!, good work guys.

194. mehrue says:

you guys are awesome, you’re all my new role models

195. wickedpixel says:

full video… please!

196. Piper1234 says:

absolutely emotional :D mr janitor has a great voice indeed

197. Jukka says:

Thank you for making the world more weird for a moment :)

198. twinkletoes says:

Thank you so much for this! This is my absolute dream, to just have this sort of thing at any place. I wish I could do this here in the Philippines, but I don’t think they’ll get it. People here seriously need this kind of fun.

199. Lea says:

That just totally made my day. Awesome!!

Pretty please can we see the full version?

200. Dyspro says:

This is absolutely hilarious. Great idea, great song, and a job well done. Bravo.

201. Mike T says:

Guys, that was amazing! :D

202. Mateus Alves says:

The little girl’s face at the end is priceless, the best mission yet. :)

203. Troct says:

That was very nicely filmed and exhilarating to watch and listen to! Once again, great job! Thank you!

204. Nikolaj says:

Wow !

Not only is the idea brillant ! but the performance was brillant too !
    I’m in Montréal. If anyone wants to do this, I’m in ! (by the way, I’m a singer).

Well done !

205. murray says:

A wonderful creation in a most banal location. Very touching to see the diners clap and cheer. You lit up peoples day, more please!!!

206. Carlos says:

That was really immpressive!… I’m thankful that you grant us to see a live motion musical… the janitor sings very well but the security guard stole the show… LOL =)

207. Jackie says:

Hey that was at crenshaw mall in los angeles!

208. Frank says:

@ Nikolaj –

I too live in Montréal and I wish to do such a thing like this!!!!!! Are you in the Improv Everywhere global site?

209. Great mission, guys!

Charlie, I love the way you mingle with the audience and act all surprised! Great work, guys!

Andries (from the Dutch Improv Everywhere-like group Shoqs)

210. Pman says:

Fantastic!!! Loved it.

I wonder what a subway musical would be like. Just like No Pants mission, People entering the subway train at different stations and join the musical and leave the train while others continue. I guess it might be a tough mission.

211. Tranbs says:

Very incredible!
    I loved it.
    Thanks for this pleasure.

212. Bruno says:

jajaja muy gracioso felicitaciones desde españa por esto que haceis

haha very funny congratulations from spain for this videos and this website

213. Mike says:

Fabulous! Congratulations to everyone involved, I had a lot of fun watching that, you guys were amazing.

214. Mish says:

Definitely my absolute favourite mission so far!
    Excellent execution.

215. Donna says:

Why can’t we see all the characters in the video?

216. Stefan says:

hehehe, I have just watched your latest ‘mission’ and it was totally amazing!

I am so glad that I have found your website, since the ‘Food Court Musical’ put a smile on my face and I am now going to check out your other works.

Have a great day!

217. Kimi says:

This is probably, by far, your most popular mission! I see this everywhere on YouTube!! I love musicals (especially random ones!) so this drove me to tears in laughter! Please do more stuff like this in Michigan (more specifically Grosse Pointe areas..!!!)!!!!!

218. Kimi says:

219. Jo says:

This sure beats the spontaneous Irish seisun we pulled in a Burger King
    at 11pm one night (Bank holiday and the bar we were playing in wanted to close).

220. Mike F says:

Bravo! The world needs more random acts of senseless creativity.

221. Kaiser says:

Great!!!, i hope see you once (at last)

222. Rosemary says:

Fabulous. I loved it.

223. Niall says:

Lol that was awesome, though Its really not improv at all if its choroeographed and rehearsed. its just inclusive theater

224. Chloe Ross says:

I am still laughing. I have waited for years for someone to just “do a musical” somewhere crowded. I am still laughing. BH Mall is close to me so it made it even funnier. You should try a Trader Joe’s next time ( like you did Best Buy).

225. You guys are awesome! Love you! Never stop.

226. Kathleen says:

Oh My,as One that truly believes our world is God’s little prank on the Cosmos…This proves that we are able laugh at the absurdity of our reality…. This was THE BEST!!! Thank-You for a good laugh.

227. Lisa says:

It’s to bad you cut the others out. It would have been cool to see them. This was great! I would LOVE to be in a spontaneous musical.

228. Salva says:

Absolutely great, amazing, go on guys

229. Atomic Sheri says:

I LOVE this. I would absolutely come unglued if I happened to be at a place where an impromptu musical number took place. I hope to be so lucky in my life!

230. John Priest says:

What a great commentary on the monotony of every day life. Yet, totally entertaining!! Well done!

231. that was pretty amazing!
    great job and keep that ish up!
    lemme know when you post more!

232. Janine says:

That was awesome! You guys should do it in grocery stores or a bank! That was a good show!

233. amanda says:

This was spectacular, all the time I wish real life was a musical, you made it happen. Fantastic!

234. Angie says:

This made my day.

Thanks so much for what you’re doing!

235. Nerupe says:

That was incredible, it made my day, thank you.

236. Michelle says:

What’s with all the tight-assed literalists grumping about “oh well it’s not reeeeeally IMPROV, now is it?” Who cares? If you want to get all hair-splitty about it, the slow-mo Home Depot wasn’t improv either because they planned it to happen at a precise minute; the Best Buy infiltration wasn’t improv because it was no accident (dun dun DUN!) that everyone showed up in blue polos.

Whatever you call it, the food court musical is still 1) a blast and 2) a most effective way to shock some innocent bystanders into a little bit of unanticipated wonder. The world needs more of both, and I’m so glad IE is on the case.

237. Kentucky Kelly says:

Amazing! I loved this video. I have always wished people would just break out in song!

238. Marc says:

Funny: More often than not I used to sit in a mall and think what would happen, if a performance like this broke out. In my head it’s quite similar to what the video looked like…

I just realized: In the complete list of the Missions, food court Musical is listed with the wrong date: 2007 instead of 2008.

239. Alice says:

This is wonderful! I love to see people making others happy with their talent. BRAVO! I wish there was more of this everywhere.

240. lovely says:

This one has to be one of my favorites. I love how you guys made it exactly like a musical. It played out exactly like one too! Like how everyone joined in singing, everyone was dancing, and everything was resolved at the end. Brilliant. haha

241. waunnepi says:

This is awesome. Appreciate the food court humor.

242. Lee Chaix says:

Loved it! So glad the VSL listserv highlighted your work.

243. catnip says:

can i join thats freeking awesome age 11

244. Julia says:

Terrific–I’m a nurse in a small rural hospital. We could sure use some of your “work” out here in the country and on the OB floor!

245. Min says:

Probably my favorite one on this whole site. Just brilliant C:

246. Rebecca says:

Cutest improv ever! It really cheered up my day. Nicely done too.

247. Moose says:

Having a bad day.. car blew up earlier this week.. stuck in the middle of nowhere. finally made it home. got to watch this.. thanks for the LOL =)

The inclusion of the HDOAS “girl,” as well as the janitor and security really punched it up as opposed to just a normal mission. Props to teh mall and HDOAS!

248. blegoff says:

I’m french and i see your movie i just tell you make a great job this is awesome.

if you come in france try to make one improvisation in public place i’m sure some people will appreciate this kind of pranks.

249. Rich says:

I was a fan when I lived in NY. Now you come to LA and rock out the mall I always go to! And they let you do it. So classic. I love that foodcourt!

250. Stan says:

That was one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen!!! It reminded me of the Musical Buffy The Vampire Slayer episode!!! I loved it I wish I could have been there. Very inspiring!!!

251. Melonie says:

Living in Minnesota, I’m surprised you didn’t try to perform this at the Mother of all Malls- Mall of America!

252. Joseph Grabko says:

I demand the full version of the video as well!

253. Hank says:

Nice to see Hot-dog-on-a-stick back in the limelight.

254. charlotte says:

hey….this was pretty amazing…baldwin hills mall is my second home…ive been going there since i was a kid because im a local girl…i wish i could have been there that day…it was pretty amazing…i probably would have started singing myself… was great!

255. chirodoc says:

amazing…simply amazing. I love it. Brilliant. Keep up the awesomely wicked work. Wish I could have been there!!!

256. Yubi Shines says:

Oh god! This was posted the day after my birthday! Best present ever!

I hope you’ll do variations of the real-life musical in the future, in different public locations. It’s too hilarious not to.

257. Ron Young says:

That is absolutely amazing. I want in!!! Wow!!! How much fun could that have been!!!!

258. Raphaelle says:

Hi, I’m French, so sorry for my ” bad english ”
    I think what you do is very good, and when I saw the video : I loved, it was too fun to see people stop to move. Moreover, your idea is very creative.I hope i don’t speak very bad…

All the best.

PS : I Loved U.S.A, you’re so lucky to live in.

Kiss. Raphaelle who loved what you do.

259. Lauren says:

Those vidoes are amazing. Great job!!

260. TomL says:

One of the funniest videos I’ve seen in a long time. I’ve e-mailed the URL to almost everyone I know, because this is much too good not to share. It has brightened up lots of lives.

Do more missions!

261. Vishwas says:

Great work guys, just had to come and post my wishes

262. mara says:

you guys did it again !! you’re awesome !!!

263. Jay says:

I love it. If anyone wants to watch some more musicals improv search for chasers – if life were a musical

264. Gaetan says:

Wonderful ! I like this video. It’s very hilarious.

265. joe says:

its inspiring :) keep it up (y)

266. Louis says:

Marvellous. More please!!

267. Con says:

I want to see the full video.

268. Ricardo says:

Ta la raja!!
    me encantan sus trabajos…

Demasiado bueno.
    Los felicito!

269. JesusRules101 says:

That was hysterical my church pastor and his wife told me about it! We are working on improv in our Xpress Drama Ministries Group at our wonderful church, First Assembly Of God!!

Thanks!! It was so funny!!

270. I have dreamed about doing something like this… how can I connect with you in San Diego!

This was the primo of all! Loved it! You guys make this world worth living in… no kidding!

271. Bailey says:

the skate boarder dude in this video is hott!

oh yeah…this is pure genius!

272. csp says:

I really enjoyed this… but I must nitpick on the description of the location as in the ‘middle of downtown’. Although racially diverse, this area is at least as close to the Westside as it is to Downtown (which means a very specific place here). It should more properly be called Southwest LA. Anyway props to the mall and HTOAS for allowing it!

273. PaulieB says:

274. Shawn says:

Marcelo Teson
    Mar 10th, 2008 at 2:09 pm

Yes, that is most definitely Chester Whitmore. With all the video and stage spoofs he does at Herrang, I just assumed he was in on it. This is by far my most favorite IE to date.

275. Doug says:

Yeah, the full video would be great. Also, I don’t know how you guys feel about tributes or anything, but is it cool if a couple of my friends and I try to recreate some of this stuff? We live in Ohio which is insanely boring and could totally pull this off without many people knowing what was going on.

276. Joe says:

Well done!! Props probably one of the best… totally loved how the mall and hot dog stand joined in.. harsh free advertising for them!!

277. ociana says:

How fun! I would have loved to have been there.

278. Chris says:

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! If you guys ever do stuff like this in Australia, I am so in!

279. Andrew says:

That man at the end looked a lot like an aged Chris Rock. Sounded like him too.

280. Tom says:

Yep – the guy at the end was Chester Whitmore! I want to know if he was in on it.

281. Andy says:

very very nice, loved it

282. Nancy M says:

WOW!! I have always wanted this to happen!!!
    Why can’t real life be a musical?!

283. ayee says:

amazing. thats really all i can say.
    loveddddd it.

284. TomeL says:

“Brilliant” doesn’t begin to express my admiration for your work.

I teach a university business writing class. You can imagine the heavy seriousness that pervades the class.

So, in our computer classroom, I brought up “Food Court Musical.” Everyone laughed. Everyone loved it.

All of a sudden students found that they can laugh and at the same time they discover that they can write, they can argue.

My thanks for your help in defrosting young people who are so focused on careers that they forget to laugh at themselves and the world around them!

285. Improv Everywhere Rocks says:

this video is the best ever. you should get your own t.v. show :)

286. Bekah says:

Ok…. I am a HUGE musical fan! I just wanted to say that… DANG!!!! I love it! I can totally imagine going to a Broadway musical and seeing this number! Well done!

287. Gary says:

This video is ruining my life. I can’t stop watching it!

Great job!!!! Here’s another request for the full video.

288. Chefparrothead says:

hey gys and gas… I loved the fucking food court musical.. Im a chef and I am going to forward this on to all y chef friends and everyone in the biz I know.. I think its a great idea,,,keep up the good work… I also loved the “NO pants” Video, just wish there were more shot of the ot gals in their panties WOW… what a day off this is turning out to be….keep up the good wor… I hope their is more to come….

289. Tom says:

Where are the full video i con’t find it
    would be great to see the skateboardpunks

290. Steve H says:

It is so refreshing that in today’s world of wars, terrorism, economic catastrophes, and such, that there are actually groups of people who live life just to entertain and bring joy to us all. A nice reminder that there is much more “good” in this world than people think. We need more random acts of this type — bravo Improv-ers!

291. Leah says:

I’ll bet I’m one of the few who had tears at this. (Now can I get a napkin please) When I was in High School and living in a terrible family a friend and I actually acted like we were in a musical often. We would dance and sing our way down the hall etc. I wanted life to be like a musical. Your show brought my dream to life and it touched me. Wonderfully done.

I think the idea calling it Improv is that it is meant to look like it was spontaneous improv. This is what the unsuspecting audience would think, at least at first.

292. YOYOBOX says:

293. Lynn B says:

I AGREE!!! This is refreshing!! And good food for any soul…
    Way To Go!!!

294. Pocket mouse says:

The drama teacher at my school wants to do something like this. We just finished our performance of High School Musical, and she wants the cast to perform ‘Stick to the Status Quo’ during lunch. She gave us the food court musical to show us what it will be like. This is awesome. Keep on rocking, Improveverywhere!

295. wert356u says:

that was so cool!! kinda scary if i were really in that food court!

296. Jon says:

That was awesome guys. Well done!

297. Chepe says:

The guy makes a good point that this is not really improv – it’s faux improv, but it works, so why ruin it?

I’d be interested in seeing the parts that were cut from the final video.

298. Eric Li says:

THis is really really awesome!

299. Russ says:

I’ve watched this repeatedly and its still funny! Would love to see the whole video. Is there a way to buy the mp3 file? The site link to Amazon/iTunes doesn’t work.

300. Agent Spontaneouslydances says:

I remember when I first watched this video, the part where security came onto the scene I was grinning my head off and thinking, “Oh here it comes…” and was getting ready to hear him sing his part. Quite frankly your videos have made my day (Which I might add has hardly started.)!

301. JoyJuice says:

This is excellent!! I laughed SO hard! GREAT JOB!!!!

302. Jackie Rosen says:

I’m a professional flutist and a public school music teacher in Calif. (we have 1 more year of music, then the budget’s cut again). Sure wish my students could see this, so they know what’s possible, etc.

I did something similar in a Carmel, Calif. restaurant/bookshop with an opera called The Face on the Barroom Floor by Steve Tosh years ago, and it was pretty funny/weird.

Jacqueline Rosen, flutist

303. Carissa says:

This is beautiful. Completely inspirational. It made my day!! :P

304. mio says:

this was the funniest thing ive ever seen. i wouldve loved to witness it on my own. this was great!

305. Benedik says:

MORE, MORE, MORE of that

306. Lucy says:

really awesome

307. Ashton says:

This is definitely one of my FAVORITE missions ever!!! You should come to my (really boring and quiet) town and do it!

308. Benjiman Rossan says:

You should put a download link for the full video, and see if you can find sheet music. That was awesome. I fell for the security, but when she asked for napkins you could tell he was an actor. Keep it up!

309. Lauren says:

please do this at Sunrise Mall in Massapequa on Long Island, NY… you would DEFINITELY get an aaamazing response… better than those people who couldn’t even find it funny!

310. Victor Shepherd says:

I would have loved to have seen it, and would love to be in one of your missions

311. miconian says:

I think it’s too bad that the whole story revolved around getting a napkin. The message that comes across is that these people with their banal jobs have nothing better to worry about than cleaning things up.

312. liz says:

Omg I am in love with you guys that right there was the highlight of my day. Hilarious =) Some to Toronto.

313. Planty says:

Absoutely freaking hilarious!!

314. Peter says:

This is my favoritist internet vid. I’ve watched it 10+ times and love it each time. Here’s a pledge of $5 to see the full version. You guys are great, keep up the awesome work!

315. Stranger in a Strange Land (USA) says:

What country did this take place in? I know they were speaking English, but it didn’t look like America or England. You know, two primarily white countries (or at least were), but there weren’t any white people in the food court. So, it’s hard to tell. Of course, I get the same feeling walking downtown in my American suburb.
    Yay, minority status!

316. julianne says:

i love this one
    but now every time im in a food court ill be disappointed when something like this doesnt happen.

317. Brilliant!!!

Well Arranged. Keep up the great work.

You have talent.

318. Maj says:

Love this Foodcourt Musical! Amazing! Bravo!

319. Kong Klas says:

Fantastic! I LOVE it! Forwarding to everyone I know, made my day – and probably everyone else as well;)

320. Lauren says:

This might be my favorite mission so far…nice job.

321. M&M says:

This mission was great! I laughed so hard tears tears came to my eyes!

322. shopkeeper says:

Photoshopped-oh yea! Definitaly photoshopped-without a doubt-photoshopped!

323. kat says:

this is one of my favorite missions <333
    i laughed so hard when the janitor came out!

324. Ignatius says:

Have to love the copycats. I didn’t see anything attributing ImprovEverywhere for the idea.

Boo-urns on them.

325. Thomas says:

This was the best performance of “Improv Everywhere”! I’d like to see more of these!
    Greatings from Austria!

326. Was that Chester A. Whithmore I saw in the end? Did he coreograph the dancing part?

327. Anna says:

328. Mike says:

I lauged so hard i cried. Keep this up, we need more of this! Maybe a verison on the Chicago “EL” could be next?

329. Anastacia says:

isn’t that Usher throwing the napkin?

330. J says:

This one is the best! You need to do more musicals, they are so full of life! :)

331. Dirk Gardner says:

That was awesome! Thank you for sharing.

332. Marie says:

This is my favorite “mission” that you all have done (the other being the “frozen” one), but I was wondering if we could view the full musical? I think it would be nice to see everyone who was involved.

333. SergeantBarbosa says:

Very, very well done. I’m sure you caught everyone off guard. Yes, I too, figured the game was up when the security guard appeared. A well executed misdirect.

334. rete says:

you said mission accomplished at the end. Do you ever have missions not acomplished? have any missions gone gravely wrong?

335. Kenshiro says:

Greetings from Argentina.
    Keep’em coming!

336. Chloe says:

337. Jenny says:

One of my favorite Improv Everywhere acts; like everyone else is saying (hint hint), a full version would be awesome!

338. betty says:

hey improve everywhere,
    i think that food court musical is soo kewl!! i luvv the song and how they perfomed the improve skit…i rocked :]

339. Ricardo says:

Hi there i’am portuguese and i love your work.
    This week i saw i week version of your Food Court Musical in my country, but if i understand wrigth the Portuguese Entreprise Renova Papper Tisues didn’t pay you anything for your excelent ideia, that is true, sorry for my poor english write.

Anyone interest on this can see the two videos, the Original from Improv Everywhere and the Copy, which they claim to be Guerilla Marketing from Renova Papper Tissues.

340. Big Jess says:

Hey!! I love the food court musical, when i watched it for the first time i fell in love with the idea. I’m actually thinking about doing something simular as my final piece for my university degree. YOU ARE MY IDEA!! Any chance you guys wanna take a holiday to Oxford England and help me out? I have to perform it in March, so i have a while to get organising!
    I’m so excited! You guys rule!

341. Matt says:

I somehow stumbled upon this awesome website through youtube and the Frozen Central video. I’m glad I did, these are all so random but hilarious!

342. noclaf says:

Hey! I know the demon who did this! somebody call Joss Whedon quick!

343. Sam says:

Hmmm I need a phrase hmmm holy crab apples no been saying that for months holy cats hmm new but not good anough O I KNOW HOLY HIGHSCHOOL MUSICAL AND FRIES that was sooooooooooooo freaking funny I CANT WAIT TO TELL MY FRIENDS AT YOUTH GROUP ABOUT THIS LOL im 13 and in 8th grade along with my youth group friends (4 including me) If your ever in need of 4 8th graders in the annapolis maryland area were your group theres 3 girls and one boy in our group and we love this kinda thing HOLY HIGHSCHOOL MUSICAL AND FRIES I LOVE YOU GUYS

344. Pingback: Food Court Musical! |

345. Pingback: le club club » food court musical, Improv everywhere

346. Dan says:

Any possibility of seeing the full uncut version of the video?

347. Agent Wimpy says:

WOW! Just got DSL so I am looking at the vidios!

Julie Brister tossing a baby? Classic!

348. hannah says:

the black guy in teh brown shirt at the end who said yes you can have a napkin
    who is he? is he a random guy
    cause im so sure i saw him on tv

349. hannah b says:

i have seen this so many times i have it basically memorized
    how could someone get involved with something like this ?
    like in the next improv everywhere prank

350. Pscitz says:

Agent Campbell has a great voice and I really liked the Janitor, too.

IE is awesome, I wish I had the guts/ideas to start something like that where I live.

351. Dan says:

Hannah, use the “Mailing List” tab at the top of the page, and join the list to get notices about upcoming missions.

352. Charles Knickerbocker says:

Way too cool! Thanks for giving me joy, inspiration and motivation.

353. Jack Hoff says:

Wow! Just, Wow! Incredible! I want to find that mall just to eat at their food court…

354. this is amazing.. i taught improv for 3 years… we did something like this in the annapolis mall!!! yes i live in maryland.. 20 min from baltimore 45 from D.C. can u imagine!??? ANNAPOLIS AS WELL!??? this is creative, with the napkin, plain and simple, wonderful job!

355. Kevin says:

Loved that guy at the end. Hey, the Janitor is still cleaining up!

356. Ian Reents says:

Please… PLEASE, do another one of these spontaneous musicals!

357. Clara says:

OH MY GOD ! I wish I was here… I’d like so much to see and to take part in such events… I’m french, does anybody know if there is this kind of association in France ?

Congratulations, once more. Keep on doing, and have fun !

358. Sophia says:

I just watched that randomly with my friend
    I’ve never laughed so hard

359. Cecilia says:

That was great!

360. cathy doyle says:

Your work warms the heart of an old social activist. I am near despaired of the challenge of who will continue the message of stop, look, and listen! Who else but the overburdened performer/entertainer/waiter&waitresses “waiting” for their breaks/iconoclasts? You give more than you know. I hope you will be as delighted with your successors as I am with you, but that will be up to you.
    I have to tell you that what you do has an impact beyond the wildest dreams of any politician because they fail to engage their audience. Please do what you do and if you do it with passion you will inspire your successors. BRAVO for your heart and engagement with the human condition.

361. YoJeffrey says:

This stuff should be on TV !! Reminds me so much of the Jamie Kennedy Experiment !! Funny Stuff fer REAL !!! lmao

362. larry509 says:

Nice show! That was hilarious!

363. Nat says:

I just found your site, totally cool. I also showed this video to my 6 year old. He won’t stop singing Lemonade. We both thought it was great. Keep up the good work.

364. Josh says:

LOL that was amazing! How many people would have just been like what the hell.. it was awesome! I wanna do that!

365. Michelle says:

My sister told me to check out this website. I absolutely love it! Great ideas guys! And very entertaining! Keep the experiments coming :)

366. Sixtus says:

I loved it, nice work guys!

367. Singerchic says:

omg i love this one its my favorite out of all your videos. I liked the camera shots your other videos dont have as good of camera placeing but this one was great……Love your work keep it up =]

368. KMarlin says:

Bravo! Incredibly creative and brilliantly executed! I used to love the old Prangstgrup material; I must say you’ve done them proud!

369. Juliette says:

This is one of my favorite ones that you guys do… so funny!! ^_^

370. julia says:

this is my fave … it’s so funny

the girl from 3:00 looks like michelle from Destiny’s child

371. Jono says:

That was the best video I have ever seen. wow!! You guys rock!

372. Meggie says:

omg, i swear that’s the best thing EVER! i totally wish i had been able to see that live!

373. Jazzmin says:

Wow, this is so incredible. I can watch this over and over again and still be amused. :D

374. Nulono says:

We can haz full vid plz?

375. Michael B. says:

Awesome! Great idea. Kudos to you and all. One really minor nitpick: since you did rehearse, it was not, technically, an “Improv” event. But still, that’s really minor. My hat’s off to you folks, and the mall management, and Hot Dog on a Stick as well. Bravo!!!!

376. Polish boy from England says:

This is the most beautirful thing I’ve ever seen. Keep on doing the world better and better. Big respect for everyone engaged in this project !!! :))))

377. Sky says:

:D I always wondered what would happen if life were like high school musical… now I just need to figure out how to get it done in our school cafeteria, and it’s all good! Amazing work, anyway.

378. That was really awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!Loved the Frozen Central station.
    Would love to do something like that in Barcelona, Spain.
    How can we get in touch with you guys!!!!!!!
    Have just seen the interview in “La Vanguardi” of Charlie!!
    I am a dancer and I could get a lot of people to do that here!!!!

379. Brittney says:

You guys are amazing. i can’t get enough of this stuff.
    I love the janitor part. I think half the people trying to eat nearly chocked. lol
    I should try doing that at school. Or at least propose it to the acting class they would love it. lolololololol

380. Alison says:

I would love to participate in a mission like this. I am 13 year old so its hard to come across a chance to participate in such a awesome mission.

This was brilliant

381. SilverLilacs says:

What r the lyrics! AWESOME!

382. SSA says:

I’ve shown this to dozens of people and keep coming back to it. I just love it, love it!

383. Chase R. says:

This has to be classified as awesome. I would love an annual or encore or something, preferrably near San Diego. You should do some missions in SD.

384. rachelle says:

i rly like this. my sister and i would crack up if we saw something like this random musical unfortunatly we live in indiana.

385. Shel says:

This made my day! I laughed for around 20 minutes even after watching the end. I have been wanting to attempt this at my school with a group of kids, and randomly break out into song during lunch. It has inspired me to ask my theater teacher if we can do this once in a local mall. It would be incredibly random and add some excitement to our mall. This is genius!

386. Ray says:

So any word on the full video for this? Either through youtube, or on a ftp site?

387. Aaron says:

Awesome awesome awesome….I had to make reference to you guys on my blog.

Awesome awesome awesome again. Do these happen in the UK?

388. Paul Erland says:

oh Guys… this is freaking awesome!!!
    I wonder if you have crews in different cities all over the country to do this… I’ll be very glad to be part of it… no matter how crazy is this… Actually I’m from Utah… here the people is very… extremely conservative, so some prank like those will have a great impact in here… waiting to hear about you guys!!!

389. Alana says:

haha, my favorite part was the janitor’s part. It just made me laugh so hard when he started singing in the video. I wish I was there when it happened. xD

390. Damien says:

HI everyone.Could someone help me ? I have this f**** song stuck in my head since yesterday. when i first discovered the video, i watched it at least 10 times in a row. Now this music is playing again and again whatever i’m doing i hear it…. I even dreamt about it last night. Do you guys have a trick to get that thing out of my head ?

391. Charlie Todd says:

The week we rehearsed and performed this I had the song stuck in my head each night for hours. It’s a cruel song.

392. Mandie says:

This. Is. Pure. Genius.

I loved it from beginning to end! I love stuff like this. It reminded me of the silliness of the Buffy musical (“they got the MUSTARD OUT!”) hehehe.

393. Bob Penn says:

Absolutely brilliant. You are living out my dreams!!!

394. Steffanie Chambers says:

Omg! This was one of the most creative musicals I’ve ever seen! My friend showed me this webtsite and I showed this particular one to my friends. Awesome job on this! Keep up the good work! =D

I wish we could do this sort of thing at my mall! =P

395. George says:

396. Pops says:

Was given your link by a friend in the USA.
    Absolutely awseome and I shall be watching evry single one.
    Don’t get nothing like that happening in the UK

397. Sara says:

Tjis is one of my favorites. I wish you hadn’t cut the video, I would love to have seen the whole performance. I’ve watched it over and over and I still want more. Please post an uncut version.

398. kim says:

this video made me think of food court musical all over again, if it was combined with the freezing one in grand central.

399. Typophobic Loser :] says:

That. Is. Awesome.

That’s all I gots to say. :]

400. Pingback: News Station Falls For April Fool’s Prank, Turns to DMCA As Remedy

401. Pingback: Tech Verdict » Blog Archive » News Station Falls For April Fool’s Prank, Turns to DMCA As Remedy

402. Mark Edward says:

Totally awesome. I didn’t even come close to expecting the janitor to chime in with everyone. I love you guys.

403. Sean K. says:

I just now found this…May 2009. You guys have me fired up. I joined the Texas group of The Urban Prankster Network. This was AWESOME. It’s the exact reason I hate musicals…which is why I love this. GREAT job.

404. Amanda says:

Thank you thank you thank you. I was utterly stressed out (it’s finals week at my college right now)- my friend sent me this link, and I literally spent an hour on your website. This is one of my favorites though- my friends and I have always contemplated about how extraordinary it would be to all of a sudden break out in a musical, though ours usually center around the library steps, or in a coffee shop. Thank you for restoring some of my faith in humanity- PLEASE CONTINUE TO PULL THESE AMAZING PERFORMANCES!! May I suggest a musical via train station? Or another public area? I look forward to seeing your future works!!!

405. sophie says:

this video just made my day. love the part when the security guard comes in and everyone was so worried, but when he started to sing too, i burst out laughing!!
    this is the best so far!!
    keep it up guys

406. Hugo says:

What came first and who’s copying ?

407. JOy says:

I ♥ this!!!!!!!! My favorite by far.

408. Rebecca says:

I’m directing this in my High School cafeteria right now, and I have someone putting together some sheet music for the accompianment. If anyone needs it, I would be happy to help you out. Thanks for this wonderful idea!!!

409. md123 says:

thank you so so so so much for making my day and week much more light-hearted and reminding me that laughing is the best cure for everything!!! keep up the hysterical work, i wish i could be part of the group!

410. Melanie says:

Hey this was on the new episode of season 5 of WEEDS this week!

411. Linda R. says:

OMG. I just now saw this on my nephew’s facebook profile and immediately recognized “agent Caldwell” the singing janitor who happens to be my very competent colleague and LAWYER. I had no idea! but I HAVE seen him give some pretty good performances in court!

412. PoorOldEdgarDerby says:

Never get tired of this one. Although, I only first saw it yesterday, so who knows what the future holds?

413. Jaun Millalonco says:

Excellent YouTube post ! thanks for sharing. I’ll be adding your blog to my reader.

414. Sparrow says:

This has gotta be one of my favorite things you’ve done! I was laughing the entire time!

415. Deirdre N says:

lol that was cool, the security guy was a nice touch

416. minnie says:

lol, I literally teared up at the end.
    that was beautiful.

417. AllyCat says:

i love this! its sooooooooo funny when they start and everyone’s just looking around, totally confused. And the security guard was HILARIUOS!!!!! me and my friends love this veido! we’re even thinking about doing it in school during lunch or something!

418. Olivia says:

I would love to do this in Winnipeg Manitoba’s food court in St.Vital. Any way this could be rearranged?

419. Julici says:

It’s fantastic and soooo funny! Really. (though I do not really like musicals). Pity there is no group (and there are no events) like this in Hungary. However, I wonder there would be enough “volunteers” here in Budapest, for instance, to do such funny projects. :-D

420. Kori says:

LOL…couldnt stop laughing almost woke up my boyfriend.
    You guys are awesome!!!

421. Holly Noel Miller says:

i love what has happened! i think that life should be a musical! The world needs a little music in their life!

422. Megan :) says:

kudos :) i would of been in it. lol
    great job!!

423. sonic says:

i have walked through life actively resenting that the world wasn’t a musical. and then one day at a mall you freaks exploded around me. it was fun and awesome and life affirming, dammit! i would like my tax dollars to go to you.

424. RW says:

This is hilarious!!! As someone how has lived in this area for nearly 20 years and is quite familiar with the layout and demographics of the mall, it made me wish I was there to see the reaction of people. I would have caught on quite quickly, however, as you kind of mentioned in your editorial the mall is located in a predominately/historically African-American neighborhood, and to see that many white people working in and patronizing the mall would have been odd to me. However, being the ever so culturally embracing neighborhood that it is, most likely people were not deterred or suspicious by the enhanced caucasian-nous of the food court. Well done; try downtown l.a. next time; it needs a morale booster.

425. Nicki says:

I like the guy at the end “He’s the most singingest janitor I’ve ever scene. I said damn boy.”

426. Shane says:

First of all, I want that to happen to me somewhere, and secondly, I want to be a part of one!!! If you ever come to San Jose, CA, count me in!!!

427. Jellibear says:

This rules.

428. Dana says:

I love this new one! So far I haveenjoyed all of them. AWESOME fun.

429. kristýnka says:

hey guys,
    it was perfection.
    very wonderful:)

430. Chris Orbz says:

I totally would’ve recognized Brister from her excellent roundtable discussion talking points on the Onion News Network’s ‘In The Know’, e.g.

If I was there I might’ve approached her and called her out on being an actor before I realized anything was going to happen :/

431. Nicki says:

that guy sounds like he’s part of the song when he laughs
    and i love the line ‘and this hot girl too’
    is there anyway of seeing the whole thing?

432. matthijs meulblok says:

Once I did the same thing for a televisionprogram at a kind of mall in Rotterdam, with freezing with 20 others.

Really, if you come to Holland, let me know, cause I love doing these Things xD!

433. Hi,

we are a flashmob-community in Hamburg, Germany. A part of our flashmobbers created an “Impro-Comedy”-group and we are going to make a similar musical – as your food court musical or I love lunch! – here in Hamburg, too. We don’t need a napkin, but we need help! I am thinking about tipps and tricks for the organisation.

“I need some help from youuuuuuuuu!” (singing as “I need a napkin, toooooo!”)

Would be glad to hear from you. You can also find me on facebook: Thorsten Gawandtka

Bye, ThoGa

434. matt says:

i would probably join in hahaha

435. Lil' Doc Lee says:

Brilliant. This is exactly what America needs to bring us out of the gloomy recession. Can we train the un/under-employed to be hilarious actors and creative artists? Hooray for people with great ideas and those who do not trample on their dreams. On a much smaller scale you may also appreciate The Legendary Bush Man of San Francisco. (