Here are the full details for The Mp3 Experiment taking place on Thursday, September 12 at Clark Park in Philadelphia as part of the Dollar Stroll. Please take the time to read all of the instructions on this page.
Date: September 12 (rain or shine)
Location: Clark Park – (by Baltimore Ave – map below)
Time: The event will begin at exactly 6:30:00 PM. Arrive early! It will be over by 7:15.
Wear: A Red, Blue, Yellow, or Green shirt
Bring: An uninflated balloon.
Full instructions below:
1. Download the Mp3: DOWNLOAD (Right click and save the link. If you just click on the link it will start playing in your browser. Spoilers!)
Note: The filename for the track is “mp3_experiment.mp3″ and the album, artist, and track name will be “Mp3 Experiment.”
iOS users (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) can also download the mp3 directly to their device via podcast.
2. Load the track onto your mp3 player (iPhone, etc.)
3. Do not listen to the track.
4. Wear a shirt that is one of the following colors: Red, Blue, Yellow, or Green.
5. Bring an uninflated balloon. (Any kind of balloon that can be blown up.)
6. Bring a watch with a second hand (or use your cell phone if it displays seconds.) Before you leave, sync it up to this atomic clock:
If you have an iPhone, consider downloading this app that will give you the exact atomic time in the field. Don’t count on your phone’s clock being the same time as the clock above– make sure to sync!
7. As 6:30 approaches, blend in with the area naturally as if nothing is up, and stand or sit anywhere in the shaded zone in this map:
View Mp3 Experiment Philadelphia in a larger map
8. At exactly 6:30:00 PM, press play.
Frequently Asked Questions
Say what now?
If you’ve never heard of The Mp3 Experiment, check out our coverage of the past ten years. In addition to The Mp3 Experiment, Improv Everywhere organizes hilarious participatory public projects year round. Check out the rest of this site to see our work!
How will we know when to start?
You will have synchronized your watch or cell phone clock to the atomic clock above. If your phone does not allow you to adjust by seconds, you have two choices: 1) Bring a watch. 2) Figure out how off your phone is and adjust accordingly.
Can I use my iPhone/Android phone?
Yes, but if you use an phone, be sure to put it in airplane mode so you don’t get interrupted by a call. Also, as noted above your automatically set clock could still be several seconds off. So note the difference and adjust accordingly, or download this app (iOS) that will show you the correct time.
Should I listen to the track beforehand?
Can I listen to the track beforehand?
You really shouldn’t. Sure, there’s nothing we can do to stop you, but to really get the full experience of the event, you shouldn’t listen to it. It will spoil most of the fun. We know it’s hard to resist. Be strong.
What if I get to the event late?
Press play at the start time wherever you may be, and hurry up! Obviously be safe and don’t rush when crossing streets, etc.
What if I don’t press play at exactly the right time?
If you can tell you are significantly off, feel free to glance at a neighbor’s device and try to sync back up to the correct time. You’ll have more fun if you’re more in sync.
Do I need to RSVP?
Nope you can just show up. Or if you like, RSVP on Facebook.
You must be logged in to post a comment.