This event already occurred. For the Saturday, January 16 event, please see here for details.
Location: Bankers Hall Atrium, 2nd Floor, +15 into The Core Shopping Centre (855 – 2nd Street SW)
Time: 12:30 PM
Wear: A Red, Blue, Yellow, or Green shirt (or coat, etc)
Bring: An uninflated balloon.
1. Download the Mp3: DOWNLOAD (Right click and save the link. If you just click on the link it will start playing in your browser. Spoilers!)
Note: The filename for the track is “mp3_experiment_calgary.mp3″ and the album, artist, and track name will be “Mp3 Experiment Calgary.”
The track is also available as a podcast on iTunes here: podcast link. (Download “The Mp3 Experiment Calgary.”)
2. Load the track onto your mp3 player (iPhone, etc.)
3. Do not listen to the track.
4. Wear a shirt (or coat, etc) that is one of the following colors: Red, Blue, Yellow, or Green.
5. Bring an uninflated balloon. (Any kind of balloon that can be blown up.)
6. Sync your watch or cell phone to the exact atomic time (most cell phones are already on atomic time, but double check yours):
7. As 12:30 approaches, enter Bankers Hall from the 8th Avenue entrance and proceed up the escalator to the 2nd floor, as you exit the escalator turn towards the +15 entrance connecting Bankers Hall with The Core, blend in with the area naturally as if nothing is up. Here’s a map:
8. At exactly 12:30:00 PM, press play.
Frequently Asked Questions
Say what now?
If you’ve never heard of The Mp3 Experiment, check out our coverage of the past ten years. In addition to The Mp3 Experiment, Improv Everywhere organizes hilarious participatory public projects year round. Check out the rest of this site to see our work!
How will we know when to start?
You will have synchronized your watch or cell phone clock to the atomic clock above.
Should I listen to the track beforehand?
Can I listen to the track beforehand?
You really shouldn’t. Sure, there’s nothing we can do to stop you, but to really get the full experience of the event, you shouldn’t listen to it. It will spoil most of the fun. We know it’s hard to resist. Be strong.
What if I get to the event late?
Press play at the start time wherever you may be, and hurry up! Obviously be safe and don’t rush when crossing streets, etc.
What if I don’t press play at exactly the right time?
If you can tell you are significantly off, feel free to glance at a neighbor’s device and try to sync back up to the correct time. You’ll have more fun if you’re more in sync.