No Pants 2011 New York Reports

No Pants Subway Ride 2011
Photo by Katie Sokoler

The 10th Annual No Pants Subway Ride went off without a hitch today in New York. We are estimating 3,500 participants. Riders met at meeting points spread out all over the city and converged on Union Square. The high was 32 degrees and wind gusts were up to 47 MPH. There were also No Pants rides in 50 other cities around the world in 24 countries!

Photos:

Agent Katie Sokoler’s photos [Downtown - 6 train]
Agent Ari Scott’s photos [Astoria]
Agent Brian Fountain’s photos [Brooklyn]
Agent David Bledsoe’s photos [Downtown - 1 train]
Agent Ilya Chigirev’s photo [Flushing]
Agent Susan Sermoneta’s photos [Central Park]
Agent Gabriel Chai [Bushwick]
Metromix’s photos [Brooklyn]
Agent Lenny Rosmarin’s photos [Downtown - N train]
Jim Kiernan’s photos [Downtown - E train]

The official video should be ready in a week. For now, enjoy videos from year’s past!

No Pants 2010

No Pants 2009

No Pants 2008

Complete history of The No Pants! Subway Ride with videos of past years

Thanks to everyone who came out to participate! If this was your first event, make sure you are on the NY Agents mailing list so you’ll find out about upcoming missions. You can also join our Facebook Page, follow us on twitter, and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

No Pants 2011 Subway Ride Generals
(L-R) Back: Agents Todd, Shafer, Shafeek, Lindquist, Fiedler, Linder
Front: Agents Lathan, Reeves, Good, Scordelis

photo by Brian Fountain

Comments

comments

105 Responses to No Pants 2011 New York Reports

1. Angela Plasencia says:

most incredible thing one can ever imagine. can’t wait till next year.

2. Jean-Louis Kana [FR] says:

I hope it will be continued

3. Moshe Ruzin says:

Awesome!
    See you next year!

4. Eszter H says:

This was my first year and it was awesome. I was going from Williamsburg [group # 4] and while we were a bit overcrowded – 20 pantless people to 5 pantfull people – it was still an oodle of fun. I was worried about cops but they were totally friendly and kept straight faces throughout like we were supposed to.

I can’t wait for the next one :)

5. A big thank you to the woman who gave me toe warmers!!!! They helped so much! Thank you group 0 for capturing the spirit of No Pants!! Also, thank you for understand the plan better than I did ;-). It was a pleasure being your team captain!

Happy 10th No Pants!

6. Jeff M says:

Great time. Astoria – Group 6 – Stop Qnzboro Plaza.

Guy: “Why do you all of you have your pants off?” .

Me: “I’m sorry, I don’t know anything about anyone else not wearing pants.”

Guy: “I want to take my pants off too! What is this for?”

Me: “I don’t know, I just took off my pants today and got on the subway, I don’t know why they have their pants off too”.

• Eszter H says:

I was on the L and a guy goes “I know what this is! I know what this is!” and he’s just asking me if it’s all in one car and I keep saying that I have no idea why the others have no pants on and he goes “I’ll do it next year!” as I’m getting off and I just said “Good for you, see you next year”

7. Bro says:

Man, I think you need to explain it more next time, and emphasize just what we’re doing, like you used to. On every train car I was on today, there were groups of participants standing around talking loudly about the event. Shit was annoying.

8. Blaire says:

SO MUCH FUN!!! A very liberating experience…and we started a No Pants Conga Line in Union Square! Great job everyone :)

9. Joel says:

This was my third Improv Everywhere event I attended. Second No Pants Subway Ride!! It was just as fun as last year!! Especially because I got to do it with my friend since last year all my friends punked out. I was the first person in my group (1 train, last cell phone #9) to de-pants. As I was doing so, I didn’t have enough time to put my shoes on again so I had to step off the train with socks onto the platform and put on my shoes again. That was great!! I was also greeted with stares and giggles from non participants when I got back on the 1 train. One guy was determined to figure out why there were people on the train without pants so I kept changing the topic to the Knicks. He eventually gave up and started laughing. Then transferring to the N train on Times Squares was EPIC!! The subway performers gave us a shout out and more non participants took pictures and videos with their cell phones. Again, with smiles on their face, which is what this event is all about. =D Looking foward to my 3rd No Pants Subway Ride next year!

• Kevin P says:

A guy in the band in the Times Square station pulled his pants to his knees in solidarity.

I wandered by and noticed a bunch of no pantsers watching the band. Normally I don’t even stop, but I wondered what “we” were looking at!

• Stephanie says:

We were in the same group (Team 9, 1 Train) you were first, then the guy with the red beard/Devils hat and his friend, then another guy and then my best friend and I and 2 other people de-panted on the train. The walk throughout Times Square terminal was hilarious! This was so much fun!! =D.

• Joel says:

Lol awesome! I wish the train was a bit more empty so that the non participants could have seen me as I started to depants. I was hidden by this tall guy, so I don’t think many people got to see that. Oh well, like I said the second time I got on the train was great. The reactions never get old, even if most people are in on the entire thing.

10. Joe Swanon says:

The kid doing the “pantsless” (eg homeless) gag in the union square station was soooo fucking funny. Anyone else see him?

• Barb Reynolds says:

yes I saw him! that’s when they wouldn’t let us get back on the train without pant!

• Kevin P says:

I would have liked to re-enter the subway without pants.

Last year, I did. Rode the train up to GCT by myself, without pants. Nobody said a thing to me, or looked at me!

One person not wearing pants = just another New York day.
        Hundreds of people not wearing pants = something to notice!

• karaann says:

actually after breaking away from union square i headed up to 116th st on the 6 train, and i got on and rode ALLLL the way up sans pants, yeah i know it was going rougue, but i was still in the moment!

• Rossy says:

yep took a pic with him.

11. Dhyta Caturani says:

i had so much fun! it was really nice to see many people of different skin colors, shapes and sizes getting so comfortable with their body. would definitely do it again next year!

12. Gretchen says:

The best part was the conductor making an announcement on 1 train saying happy no pants day.

13. Kelly G says:

This was my third IE event and my first No Pants Subway Ride. I’m so glad I did it! I had an amazing time and made new friends!

A big hello to Flushing Meadows group zero!

Best responses from pants-wearing people:
    On the subway as people are depantsing at different stops: “I know what this is! This is it! This is the day!”
    As we were all getting off the 7 train to transfer at Grand Central: “Is there some sort of parade today?”
    As I watched the horde of pants-less people in Union Square Wallgreens from out on the street a woman asked me: “What is this all about?” Me (still pants-less): “I don’t know.” Woman: “They’re all a bunch of weirdos.” (She seemed not to notice that I was one of them.)
    Another woman on the street: “Is there some kind of protest?” Me: “No.” Woman: “Oh. I thought maybe you were all protesting pants.”

• karaann says:

if you have any pics from the flushing group or email addys or contact info for anyone there id appreciate it. i was car cappy number 9. alot of my pictures didnt come out.

• Kelly G says:

Unfortunately I don’t have any photos. I know there was more then one agent there taking some though so hopefully more will be uploaded. I’d love to see some more too.

14. Eszter H says:

My only complaint is that some people need to understand that we want to make people smile, not cringe. There was a girl with a skyblue thong and while I may have smiled about it, others – mostly non-participants – might not have. I personally didn’t want to be associated with her because we all had normal underwear on, not thongs and lace and stuff. I think that might’ve been a too vulgar from the point of view of non-participants.

15. MJ says:

Awesome awesome time.. LOVED the people in Union Square passing out the “Are pants right for me?” pamphlets. And the random people who we convinced to take their pants off in the park. Shout out to Astoria group 9!

16. Vince says:

1 train from Brooklyn Bridge, train #7, I had the black leather jacket on!

See ya’ll next year!!!

17. as a first timer, this was awesome. Can’t wait till January 2012. Nothing abnormal about seeing a religious person talking about the end of the world to a dude w/no pants. Happens every day on the NY subway, nothing to see here, move along.

I loaded all my pics that my wife took to my flickr page so feel free to check those out.

18. Agent Mirka says:

I was the car captain of the 6th car on the C line. Here were some of my favorite moments:

1. When Jessica, the first person in our car to depants, started taking her pants off, a guy standing nearby shouted “OH MY GOD.” I later found out that Jessica hadn’t heard this because she had headphones on.

2. As more people depantsed in our car, more and more of the observers started giggling and talking about it. By about the 5th stop, they were even more entertained by seeing all the pantsless people on the platform as we left the station. A few of them tried to take photos of the people on the platform, ignoring the people undressing right next to and behind them.

3. When I got into the 2nd C train, there was a young tourist couple sitting there (with the subway map open on their laps), completely surrounded by pantsless people. They looked baffled, but amused. Though, the guy had his arm around her kind of protectively.

4. Walking through the tunnel from the C to the N, I was behind 2 pantless guys and a trio of amused young Japanese tourists. One of the pantless guys tapped the tourist guy on the arm, pointed at the guy’s pants and shook his head in disapproval. The tourist and his friends seemed thrilled to be included.

5. On the platform, waiting for the N/R, there was a female cop. Some non-participants were commenting to her about what was going on and she just said something like “Yeah, this is a unique place.” A few minutes later a woman started playing an accordion and the cop came over and said “You can’t play that here.” I wondered if people were surprised that you can’t play a musical instrument, but you can walk around without pants!

6. After the Union Square crowd dispersed, there were still a lot of people walking around the East Village – solo or in groups. I went into Trader Joe’s and while I waited on line to pay, I heard these two women at the tasting counter discussing “those crazy people walking around in the cold without any pants.” One of them asked the guy behind the counter “How about that, can they get arrested for that? Not wearing pants?” The guy behind the counter said, “No, it’s National No Pants on the Subway day.” (Awesome, a national day!) Then the woman complained, “Well, but when you ask them what’s going on, they just say that they forgot their pants. I hope that’s not really true!”

19. Dutch says:

My favorite response when asked why we weren’t wearing pants today: :It is the newest fad diet, I heard cold helps you burn calories”