No Pants Subway Ride 2011 Details for New York

Last year’s No Pants Subway Ride View on YouTube | Subscribe to our channel

UPDATE – The New York Ride was a success– read about it and leave your reports here: No Pants Subway Ride 2011 New York Reports.

All are invited to participate in the 10th Annual No Pants Subway Ride. The event will take place at 3:00 PM on Sunday, January 9. Everything you need to know is in this post. Please read it carefully!

REQUIREMENTS FOR PARTICIPATION:

1) Willing to take pants off on subway
2) Able to keep a straight face about it

**THIS IS A PARTICIPATORY EVENT. DO NOT SHOW UP UNLESS YOU PLAN TO TAKE YOUR PANTS OFF. THIS INCLUDES THE MEDIA.**

DETAILS

When: Sunday, January 9 at 3:00 PM, Sharp! (Over by around 5:30)
Where: Six meeting points spread out all over New York City. Details below.
Bring: A backpack/bag and a metro card.
Wear: Normal winter clothes (hat, gloves, etc)
Facebook: You can RSVP to the Facebook Event

Complete logistics:

HOW IT WORKS

There are six meeting points this year. Take your pick. The Manhattan meeting points tend to be very crowded, so if you live in Brooklyn or Queens, definitely go to one of those! You’ll probably have more fun!

Astoria: Meet at Hoyt Playground – Google Map
Brooklyn: Meet by the Old Stone House – Google Map
Downtown Manhattan: Meet at Foley Square – Google Map
Queens: Meet at the Unisphere in Flushing Meadows Park – Google Map
Uptown Manhattan: Meet at the Great Hill in Central Park – Google Map
Williamsburg / Bushwick: Meet at Bushwick Park (AKA Maria Hernandez Park) – Google Map

Everyone should meet at their chosen meeting point at 3 PM. Please be on time. Feel free to be early.

At the meeting points, participants will be organized into groups and assigned a specific train car. Once everyone is divided up we will all head to nearby subway station[s]. Do not talk to others once you enter the subway system. No one knows each other.

Sit in the car as you normally would. Read a magazine or whatever you would normally do. Your team leader will have already divided you into smaller groups, assigning your group a specific stop where you will depants.

As soon as the doors shut at the stop before yours, stand up and take your pants off and put them in your backpack. If you’d like to use a briefcase, purse, grocery bag, or whatever instead of a backpack that’s fine too. If anyone asks you why you’ve removed your pants, tell them that they were “getting uncomfortable” (or something along those lines.)

Exit the train at your assigned stop and stand on the platform, pantless. You will wait on the platform for the next train to arrive. Stay in the exact same place on the platform so you enter the next train in the same car as you exited the last train.

When you enter, act as you normally would. You do not know any of the other pantless riders. If questioned, tell folks that you “forgot to wear pants” and yes you are “a little cold.” Insist that it is a coincidence that others also forgot their pants. Be nice and friendly and normal.

All train routes will converge on Union Square. Your exact route will be explained at the meeting point, and may involve a transfer.

You can wear fun underwear if you like, but nothing that screams out, “I wore this because I’m doing a silly stunt.” Wear two pairs of underwear if it makes you feel more comfortable. Don’t wear a thong or anything else that might offend people. Our aim is to make people laugh, not piss them off.

If you haven’t already, please take a moment to read about previous No Pants Subway Rides.

Please leave your cameras at home and resist the temptation to snap photos with your iPhone, etc. while the event is happening. Take as many as you like before and after the event, but during the ride we really want people to enjoy the experience of participating rather than documenting. It detracts from the mission if everyone is taking photos of each other rather than keeping a straight face. Don’t worry, we have photographers assigned to every meeting point who will take great photos.

This is always a blast, and we look forward to seeing you there. You may bring along friends if you like, but make sure they get a chance to read all of these instructions.

See you on the 9th!

(Information for participating in other cities is here.)

Be aware that by participating, you recognize that Improv Everywhere is not liable in the event you are injured, arrested, or worse. By choosing to participate you are still responsible for your actions.

Comments

comments

98 Responses to No Pants Subway Ride 2011 Details for New York

1. Agent Quan says:

I am so pumped for the beginning of every year just for this.

• Charlie says:

Although there is no official afterparty, a bar not too far from Union Square emailed me to offer a deal to any No Pants participants.

FYI for those of age and interested:

Hey Yallz…

Kyle (prior year no pants rider) here at BILLY HURRICANE’S, down on Avenue B (btwn 2nd & 3RD) in the East Village will be extending a ‘Congrats to all partici(no)pants to the NO PANTS SUBWAY RIDERS with a FREE OPEN BAR on Sunday, January 9th after the ride!!! Details…

What: OPEN BAR for NO PANTS RIDERS – Includes: Well Drinks, Bud Light Drafts, PBR Cans & Lil’ Hurricanes!
      When: Sunday, January 9th from 6:30pm-7:30pm
      Where: BILLY HURRICANE’S – 25 Avenue B (btwn 2nd & 3rd Streets) – East Village
      Who: 21+ No Pants Riders
      How: Show up sans pants (a must for open bar) … come straight from the ride.
      So, bring your (exposed) asses down to the East Village’s most fun & friendly hangout. We will also be serving food as well… so, save your appeti(ghty whities)! We will also be giving out prizes for best under-roo’s at the bar! Great music, great atmosphere… No pants.

Hope to see ya all down here.
      Thanks!
      -BH
      info@billyhurricanes.com

2. berko says:

I’m laughing already.

3. Michael Lawing says:

Only in New York kids! Improve Everywhere rocks!

4. Scott says:

I have been wanting to participate in this for years and am FINALLY going to do so!!
    So excited!
    Got my Superman tighty-undies ready!!!

5. Jordan says:

LOL I think Im a little to excited about taking my pants off in public!

6. KO Jaquez says:

Finally I will participate in one of IE mission!!!
    I’m going from dominican republic, if you dont take picture of me or have me recorded… I’ll hate you guys!!!
    c’ya on sunday!!!!

7. NYU Student says:

This is going to be awesome! I cant wait to take my pants off. I will be sharing this with my friends.

8. Ari says:

See you guys in Astoria! I’ll be there taking photos.

Remember to stay by yourself on the trains (reading a book is always good) and keep a straight face! Those make the best pics. :)

9. the yellow tooth hawk says:

this is going to be the best damn subway ride ever

10. Nahtrili says:

I am going shopping for red union suit long undies later today – if I can’t find red I will get something more revealing, like those thigh huggers..it’s got to attract notice!

11. Cristian C says:

I can’t wait! Last year was great! this year I’m gonna wear some fun underwear :)

12. the Colonel says:

Oh man… I wish I was going to be home in New York for this. This sounds like so much fun.

13. Michael says:

See you guys in Great Hill!!
    I’m gonna take my pants off! I’m gonna take my pants off!

14. Princess daisy says:

Can’t wait ! Last year was a blast this year will be better !!! See u all Sunday !

15. Adam says:

It says to act like you don’t know anyone, what if you do it with friends? Is it okay as long as you ignore the lack of pants?

• Erika says:

It may be funny to have only one of you do it and the others continue to act as if nothing strange is going on. :P

Hey do you guys know if the pro-pants group is coming again this year? Because I can’t see myself going pantsless in public (especially in January) but I really really want to participate in some way!

• Cookie says:

Yea I was wondering about this too cuz I’m trying to get my boyfriend to do this with me and I don’t know if he’d do it if he had to act like he didn’t know me. Plus I kinda already bought coordinating boxers.

• Charlie says:

It’s not a big deal. Don’t worry about it. Just follow the instructions when you get there.

16. Bette Blackwell says:

Elmo underwear with “tickle Me” across the ass: acceptable?

• cWj says:

I’m going to vote no….

1) probably falls under “hey, look at me” funny-unders.

2) don’t know if you want anything that encourages that particular activity, for you and in the possible case that it would spread to others…

(joke safe, kids)

17. Saul says:

any age restrictions?

18. LMAO says:

Ha can’t wait I’ll see ya in maria hernandez park people! Bring some girls ;) I’m bringing some friends

19. Hey Yallz…

When: Sunday, January 9th from 6:30pm-7:30pm
    Where: BILLY HURRICANE’S – 25 Avenue B (btwn 2nd & 3rd Streets) – East Village
    What: Show up sans pants (a must for open bar) Come straight from the ride…
    Who: 21+ No Pants Riders

So, bring your (exposed) asses down to the East Village’s fun & friendly hangout. We will also be serving food as well… so, save your appeti(ghty whities)! We will also be giving out prizes for best under-roo’s at the bar!!!

Hope to see ya all down here.
    Thanks!