April Fool Funeral

(see photo full size)

If you haven’t figured it out by now, The Best Funeral Ever mission was staged for April Fool’s Day. The “family members” were all actors and friends of Improv Everywhere. Next week we will post a new report with photo and video outtakes from the day. We staged a few over-the-top moments that were just too ridiculous to keep the video believable. Our apologizes to those who were fooled into thinking we had lost our minds and done something this horrendous. If you haven’t read the comments yet, do yourself a favor and read a few. They are probably funnier than the hoax itself.

But the hands-down funniest thing about all of this is that tonight’s evening news on CW 11 covered this mission as if it actually happened. They think the prank is on the family (our actors) when actually the prank is on them:

So basically the extent of their reporting is watching a video on YouTube and then describing it as fact on air. They didn’t bother to email Improv Everywhere for comment, call the cemetery to verify, or try to get a quote from the “family.” They just watched the video and threw it on TV. Great journalism!

They featured the story on their website tonight, but then took it down a few hours later (I guess someone filled them in.) Don’t worry. I took a screenshot.

Update: The CW filed a copyright claim against us for posting their video of our video!

Check out the hilarious outtakes from this project.

Comments

comments

112 Responses to April Fool Funeral

1. Av says:

You rock, Charlie. I figured it out pretty quick, but at the same time it was so believable… it could have really been true.

Keep up the great work!

2. hash says:

Haha! this is by far the best april fool prank i’ve come across. i’ve got to admit, when i saw the video yesterday i thought this was the real deal… but a news report on it!! that has to be the finest icing of the cake with a red cherry on it!

well done guys! wish improv was in London as well! (would love to intiate one btw!)

good luck! and hope to see more of your amazing and innovative missions!

3. Will says:

I still feel that you went too far. Why do this to WPIX news on April Fool’s Day? I normally like IE but find this WPIX prank totally crossing a line. It’s not appropriate to make fun of something as serious and as somber as WPIX news. WPIX news! WPIX news.

4. The crack-in-pizza box thing on the website screenshot almost seems like an April Fool’s joke

5. c.c says:

Wow, I fell for it, haha, even though I really didn’t think it was the best idea you guys had had. I don’t know if I’m really gullible or if the video was just too good! Well done, especially with that news spot.

6. Shannon says:

I think WPIX having a photo series of “Whose Celebrity Ass is This?” crosses a line.

I thought THAT was a prank for a minute. No such luck.

7. brwyatt says:

You know, what made it most believable was your reasoning behind it, to make the family feel like their lost relative had lots of friends and would be missed… However, I should have caught on (after all, it was April 1st), and did seem… well… crazy, and possibly seeming disrespectful… I almost would have figured it out, but it made sense, if not a little crazy and… odd…

*sigh* I bought it hook, line, and sinker… good job, and well done… and I’m kindda glad you didn’t really do this, but it sounded like it could have been a good idea (but please don’t do this for real!).

8. Evander says:

I have to admit, you got me. I read the original mission report, and while I can’t say I was utterly offended, I did leave it with a feeling of “that wasn’t quite right.”

I’m also impressed that website gave you billing higher than the Obamas meeting the Queen (although coke in pizza boxes seems to trump you both.)

9. AlexJ says:

That was perfectly done, you guys fooled me and I couldn’t be more pleased by it! Rock on guys!

10. Wow. That is absolutely amazing. I almost feel like they are pranking us.

11. Yu-Jie Lin says:

I was one being fooled. Totally not aware of a possible joke, even though I was reading other April Fools’ jokes and enjoying them. I think many people just can’t believe that Improve Everywhere’s agent wouldn’t do a such subject, but not doubt the reliability, either. I treated this is an extremely aggressive mission. Obviously, there’s still a line that agents wouldn’t cross ever.

Good job, and thanks for this awesome joke. I have to say this is the best one ever.

12. THOR says:

Please follow-up on whether or not WPIX airs or prints a retraction on their mistaken story. Awesome journalism.

13. Facebook Friend says:

That was tricksy. I considered it being a joke. But seeing as people often question the legality of your operations, I was willing to believe that you would hover around the line of morality.

14. Mark says:

Pathetic. I for one found this over the top. Didn’t laugh even when I figured out it was a joke. You guys can do better than this, seriously.

15. Ale P says:

hahaha u guys fooled me!! I kinda understood the good intentions behind the whole thing but i didnt really think it was a good idea.. it didnt feel good… haha i bought it all! great prank :) greetings from mexico

16. Chi says:

This is funny in the same way that Jackass is funny — in that it’s not really funny…

17. Timothy from New York says:

Last night I was up very late and thought “I haven’t been to Improv Everywhere in months. I wonder what’s up?” Out of pure serendipity I hit the site only a minute or two after the “Best Funeral Ever” post went up … there were no comments left yet. I instantly recognized the April Fool nod to the “Best Gig Ever” and “Best Baseball Game Ever”. Wanting to continue the joke and keep the comments section in character for those who hadn’t yet realized it was a jape, I wrote a comment praising IE for their thoughtful and poignant mission. The comments subsequently became my favorite part of this mission as readers expressed a wide range of emotions, gullibility, and incredulity. (And yes, I wasn’t duped; my praising message at the top of the comments list contains the acrostic “APRIL FOOL” as the initial letters of each sentence.)

What a fun meta-mission. Thanks IE!

18. DK says:

Greatest April Fools joke this year. Well done guys!

19. DrWimpy says:

Hey, Charlie, thanks!

That video was the straw that pushed the last of my neighbors over the camel’s back. Every kid on my block has now been warned by their moms to walk on the other side of the street when they pass by my house. I now out weigh the crazy cat lady across the road.

Scary but true.

20. Daumier says:

Loved your comment Timothy from New York. Since it was up near the top and was one of the first comments I read, it lent the mission a sort of authenticity and led me to second guess my own sanity for a moment. “Wow…I GUESS it’s alright…”