Mp3 Experiment Eight – Save The Date – 2011

Mp3 Experiment logo created by Vittoria Sprague

UPDATE: Full details are posted here.

The Mp3 Experiment Eight will take place on Saturday, July 16 at 8:30 PM in Lower Manhattan. It will be over by 9:30 PM. Save the date! You can RSVP on Facebook if you like.

We will announce the complete details including starting locations and mp3 download on Friday, July 15 around Noon. (Yes, that’s the day before.) Follow us on twitter or Facebook to be the first to know.

If you don’t know what an Mp3 Experiment is, see this page: The Mp3 Experiments.

Like last year, we are asking you to bring a bag with some props. Because the props this year are a little more specific than last year, we wanted to share the list of them further in advance to give you time to prepare. Here is the list:

a camera with a flash (not an iPhone, but an actual camera with an actual flash)
a flash light
Something that lights up that is not a camera or a flash light (should be able to fit in your backpack) (no laser pointers/fireworks/fire please)
a glow stick (or glow ring or similar glow item)
a mask (make your own if you don’t have one)

Last year’s video:

8!

Comments

comments

109 Responses to Mp3 Experiment Eight – Save The Date – 2011

1. Charlie says:

I’ve turned comments on for this post in case people have questions.

• Lane says:

Hi Charlie, I’m a little confused with the location. Is Battery Park City different from Battery Park? When I google map it, it’s north of Battery Park by Pumphouse park and the North Cove Marina. Is that correct?

• Charlie says:

The event is not in Battery Park. The Jan-June group starts just north of the WFC Plaza / Yacht Harbor and the Jul-Dec group starts on Pier 25.

2. Kelly says:

Hi, Todd — We’d LOVE to finally get to do this. But, I have to know, is this one appropriate for ages 10 and up? The whole nighttime-flashlight-mask thing worries me!

Thanks.

• Charlie says:

I think it’s appropriate for all ages, but if your child is afraid of the dark, bright lights, crowds, or masks, then use your best judgement. As always, anyone under 18 should have their parent’s permission, and parents participating with small children should keep them by their side and be responsible for their safety.

3. Cyn says:

Something that lights up bright that is not a camera or a flash light

OKAY. I GIVE UP. SUCH AS…? A lamp? (Got outlets?) A bonfire? A cigarette lighter?

• Charlie says:

I am hesitant to list things here because I’d rather leave it up to the crowd to answer that question so we get a diverse range of objects. I will say the most basic, obvious item would be a cellphone. I hope that most of the participants find something more creative than that though. But if you really don’t own anything battery-powered that lights up, then just use your phone.

• Lynn says:

I have a small electric Coleman lantern I thought I might bring. Or a battery operated toy of some kind, maybe?

• Light up feather boa!!!

4. Shannon Thomas says:

are all of these things necessary to participate? what if you don’t own a camera?

• Charlie says:

There’s nothing to stop you from showing up and sitting out from certain activities, but you will have the most fun if you have everything on the list.

Borrow a camera from a friend. Purchase a cheap disposable one at a Duane Reade.

5. Vapors says:

Any idea where to get glow sticks in Manhattan?

• Charlie says:

I’m guessing you can find them at any Duane Reade, Right Aid, or CVS. Definitely costume shops like Halloween Adventure or Abracadabra. I’m sure any of the many Ricky’s would have them too. Party City too.

• Heimy says:

Party supply store. Check the one on 14th St. I purchased some for me and my friends at the party store around my neighborhood.

6. Dara says:

Ricky’s or the Costume Store on Broadway and 12th I think should definitely have it… but any party store should.

7. Vanessa says:

I’ m so excited! This is gonna be my first mission ever! :D
    Just a few questions, though. Around what time does it end? Also, does each person have to bring every item if we’re in a group? Thanks!

• Charlie says:

It will end around 9:15 or so. Everyone should participate individually, not in groups. It’s of course fine to come with friends, but it’s more fun if you split up and do it yourself and meet up with them after. Either way, I definitely wouldn’t share props– bring your own.

8. Aisha says:

I found Masks ($8-$33) and glow sticks ($1) at Parramount Party Supplies 52 W. 29th in Manhattan. Hope that helps!

• Charlie says:

Thanks. Our hope, by the way, is not for people to have to go out and spend a bunch of money on this. Make your own mask out of paper or something if you don’t want to buy one and don’t own one already. Good to know that glow sticks are only $1.

9. Kristy Reh says:

Where can i download the mp3 and what time and where does it start?

10. Alba says:

Does the mask have to be a full mask or just a mask that covers up the nose and up?

11. Deven says:

I have a light up saber, does that count as a glow stick of my thing that lights up bright?

12. PNamz says:

My dad has an old gas mask that I wanted to wear for the experiment. Would that be alright? I don’t want to cause any problems lol.

13. Marci says:

Dollar Tree has glow sticks $1 for 2 pack. Party City has cheap masks $ 2- 15. What do you recommend people wear? Sneakers, comfy? Layers? This is my first time so if we will be running around I’ll wear sneakers…
    Can’t wait to do this!!

• Charlie says:

You will be walking, so sure, wear comfortable shoes. Check the weather forecast to determine what you want to wear. There will be some simple color instructions given on Friday.

• Marci says:

Thanks…
        Flashlight – check
        Glowstick – check
        Camera w/flash – check
        Mask – check
        Something that lights up – check
        Sneakers – check
        Hope color matches my mask :)
        Can’t wait!!

• marci says:

HELP!!!

I’m having a hard time downloading the file to my ipod shuffle. Anyone know best way to load it on the shuffle?? I think it’s a 2G Ipod Shuffle.

Otherwise I can try to load onto my cell but then I think my cell would die (it’s a Palm Pre 2)…

• Mary says:

I am having the same problem Marci..Someone help us…the event is tonight!!!!

• Marci says:

So it finally worked…I almost gave up last night!!I downloaded the file (took a while) – as a wmv I think -and then saved it in my itunes music folder once the download was complete. I clicked on the DOWNLOAD (in blue). From there I ‘added file to playlist’ (from File tab) and dragged it from Music to my Ipod device.
            It took a while but I got it & now I’m charging that puppy so it doesn’t die during the experiment.
            I’m getting there a little before 8 (taking Path to WTC) and walking up to location by the riverwalk.

14. Chris says:

Would it be safe to bring a lighter as “something that lights up”?

15. Keith says:

i have a small flashlight with a glowing thing at the end

could that count as a glowstick?

16. Fritzl says:

one question: my camera can still flash but the actual screen that shows pictures is not working…like you can’t see anything…can I still bring it?

17. Jean says:

I’m unfamiliar with the New York area and have to come up with a reasonable rendezvous point with my friends. I understand we’ll be in Lower Manhattan and that 14th street is part of that area; could my friends and I participate there or should we go as far as Battery Park?

18. JT says:

Anyone have suggestions for masks for people with glasses? Can’t see at all without them and too late for contacts.

19. A says:

FYI, on the Jan – June instruction page, it says to where a black shirt at the top but a white shirt under # 4. (I assume it’s supposed to be black since it says white for the other group in both places?)
    So excited for this!!

20. alejandra rivera says:

i dnt have a camera with a flash can i use my phone that has flash ?