Star Wars Subway Car

Produced by Charlie Todd and Matt Adams / music by Gustav Holst, arranged by Tyler Walker

For our latest mission, we staged a reenactment of the first Princess Leia / Darth Vader scene from Star Wars on a New York City subway car. The white walls and sliding doors on the train reminded us of the rebel ship from the movie, and we thought it would be fun to see how people would react to a surprise appearance by the iconic characters. We spread out the actors along the train line, staging it so they would enter the right car at the right time. Enjoy the video first and then go behind-the-scenes with the photos and report below.

Shot by: Matt Adams, Jason Eppink, Erik Martin
Photography: Katie Sokoler (photo credit for all photos on this page.)
– Princess Leia – Cody Lindquist
– Stormtroopers – Patrick Cassels, Brian Murphy, Josh Ruben
– Darth Vader – Alex Scordelis

Soaked Stormtroopers: Agents Cassels, Murphy, and Ruben

This mission took place on an incredibly rainy day. Fortunately we were going to be underground for most of it, but our intrepid Stormtroopers got a little bit wet on the way to the mission. The Stormtroopers were played by some of our friends at College Humor. They had bought the costumes for a couple of great videos they produced, and were nice enough to loan them (along with the Vader costume) to us for the mission.

The Vader costume was really awesome. It had like ten different components and included a remote control voice box that made the breathing sound effect. It was a bit of a puzzle getting Agent Scordelis dressed, but we finally figured it out.

We used our beloved 6-train stop at Brooklyn Bridge for the start of the mission. We staggered our agents, sending Darth and the Stormtroopers ahead on one train to meet up with Leia later in a second train. We planned to stage the mission several times over the course of a couple of hours. If you’ve got all those awesome costumes together, you better do it more than once!

Agent Lindquist waits for the first train to depart

Stormtroopers and Vader riding the staging car to their assigned stops

The mission started when Leia entered her train. She had two full stops by herself before the other actors entered.

I created a book for Leia to read using a template I found online. I printed out the fake cover and attached it to one of my favorite prank books, which just so happened to be the right size and color.

Agent Lindquist got a few funny looks from the passengers around her. She was unmistakably Princess Leia with her hair buns and white robe. Yet seeing one person in a costume on the subway isn’t all that strange. Maybe she’s going to a party? Unless you took the time to notice the book she was reading, you might not think too much of it.

The Stormtroopers got a nice reaction when they entered. The car wasn’t very crowded the first time we did it, but those who were there were laughing, particularly when the Stormtroopers grabbed Leia.

At the next stop, Vader’s entrance got a great reaction. Agent Scordelis entered the car with force and authority, but unfortunately didn’t account for the height of his helmet. He knocked his head on the door when he entered! It was hysterical, and we should have video of it in an upcoming “outtakes” video.

The people on the train went crazy for Vader. I think they thought the joke was over once the Stormtroopers got on, but Vader just topped it so well. One thing we learned is that almost every human will immediately take out their camera when they see Darth Vader. We’ve done lots of crazy missions on the subway over the years, but I have never seen so many people taking photographs of our performance. How can you not take a photo of Darth Vader? It’s impossible to resist!

Leia being taken away, after her intense scene with Vader

A guy snaps one last photo of our cast

After the agents exited, we reset to stage the mission again. We were now closer to midtown, so we knew we’d have a larger audience for the next run.

Leia about to enter her train for the 2nd run

This guy was completely perplexed (as seen in the video)

Stormtroopers wait for the passengers to exit the train before entering. Proper protocol!

My job during the mission was to act as Vader’s handler, making sure Agent Scordelis was where he needed to be. He didn’t have great visibility out of his mask, so someone needed to be there in case he needed help. It felt like the two of us were on our own mini-mission. It was hilarious to see Darth Vader standing all by himself at the end of a subway platform, patiently waiting on the train.

Vader got all kinds of funny looks from people as they passed by or gawked at him from across the tracks. At one point, a young guy came up to him and said, “Sith Lord, would it be OK if I took your photo?”

Vader’s entrance the second time went much more smoothly (he remembered to duck!) and the crowd roared when he appeared.

A guy takes a self-portrait with our Stormtroopers

We staged the mission around four times in total, heading uptown as far as 125th Street, and then back down to Union Square.

It was fun watching the reactions of the passengers, young and old. We encountered a few kids throughout the day, and not surprisingly they seemed to be the most excited by the mission. Some seemed flat out amazed.

Watching the characters walk away

Stormtrooper Graveyard

We finally made it down to Union Square and the actors got out of their costumes, helmets littering the station floor. It was a really fun afternoon. It’s always satisfying to see a subway car full of strangers come to life when something hilarious unexpectedly happens. Folks were laughing and chatting with other passengers while they snapped away on their camera phones. A good time was had by all.

Mission Accomplished

Watch other Movies In Real Life episodes:

– Episode 1: Rocky In Real Life
– Episode 2: Indiana Jones In Real Life
– Episode 3: Lord of the Rings In Real Life
– Episode 4: The Matrix In Real Life
– Episode 5: Back to the Future In Real Life
– Episode 6: Jurassic Park In Real Life
– Episode 7: When Harry Met Sally In Real Life
– Episode 8: Harry Potter In Real Life
– Episode 9: Spartacus In Real Life
– Episode 10: A Christmas Story In Real Life

Agent Sokoler’s Flickr Set

-our over 100 other missions can be seen here: Missions
-Subscribe to our YouTube channel, twitter, and Facebook page.
-We have a book for sale!

241 Responses to Star Wars Subway Car

1. Matt says:

Nice job!!!

• Derek says:

Loved it!!!
      Maybe next time Luke and Chewbacca could be waiting for them with a light sabre or two???
      Great one guys!

• RebelPandur says:

Chewie was no jedi.
        Luke and Obiwan would have been perfect.

Awesome work. :thumbs up:

• Jon says:

You don’t need to be a Jedi to wield a lightsaber

• Chris says:

Yeah you do.

• internerd says:

No you just have to be a jedi to make a lightsaber..

• Sammy says:

Griveous was a cyborg. In his last fight against Kenobi, he wielded four lightsabers. He was no Jedi nor Sith. But Kenobi, being a Master Jedi, had full mastery of the Force and control of the lightsaber. That helped him win that fight.

• Sammy says:

Here? the scene…

“Back away! I will deal with this Jedi slime myself!”
            ?General Grievous[src]

After the Republic received word that Grievous was hiding on Utapau, General Kenobi was sent to kill him. Still weak and injured from his encounter with Windu, he immediately revealed his four arms and attacked the Jedi. During the duel, Grievous’s craven reflexes kicked in, and his inability to penetrate Kenobi’s Form III defense made his offense grow sloppy. Kenobi took advantage of this and altered the angle of his parries to cut Grievous’s wrists. Grievous lost two of his hands to Kenobi before Clone Marshal Commander Cody and the 212th Attack Battalion arrived, ambushing the droid army. Fighting broke out all over Pau City between droid and clone forces.[2]
            General Grievous squares off against Obi-Wan Kenobi on Utapau in what would be his final match.

Grievous fled on his wheel bike, surprised and angered by Obi-Wan’s ability to fight and gain an advantage in a one on one battle. Pursued by Obi-Wan on a varactyl named Boga, after a prolonged chase and running duel, the two crashed onto Grievous’ private landing dock where the Soulless One’ waited. As they fought hand-to-hand, Grievous made use of his mechanical body and superior strength, although Kenobi managed to rip open Grievous’ previously damaged chest plates, revealing the synth-skin gut-sack containing his remaining organs. Angered, Grievous tossed Kenobi off the platform, but the Jedi managed to catch hold of the edge.[2]

Grievous, deprived of most of his arsenal, picked up a electrostaff and charged at Kenobi, raising the staff to finish him off. But before he could deliver the killing blow, Kenobi used the Force to summon Grievous’s personal blaster to his outstretched hand. He fired five shots through the gap in Grievous’ chest plate into the general’s gut-sack. The oils preserving Grievous’ organs burst into flames, incinerating his remaining biological components and killing the famed cyborg.

• well we don't know that says:

chewie may have been a jedi, it was never confirmed nor denied, though he certainly didn’t need a light sabers.

• Masa says:

Great performance! I wanna see you in my hometown, Tokyo JAPAN!

• Larry Colen says:

The camera you needed for this mission:

• DP says:

The best..I remember going to Star Wars at 16 years old…the subway thing was fab

2. Agent Reeves says:

Love this one… my new fav IE mission!!!

3. Kristen says:

4. meowbooks says:

Awesome performance. Leia had the right amount of royal dignity and indignation, Vader was imposing and the troopers were efficient.

• Phil says:

Storm troopers really lose something when they don’t have their blaster rifles. I know they couldn’t for obvious reasons.

• MrJest says:

Yeah, I thought the same thing… I went to such pains and expense to get my blaster right for my costume (yes, I am an Enormous Nerd)

5. J says:

Now that I know Pat Cassels is one of the Storm Troopers makes it funnier for me. haha

6. David says:

Fantastic! That woulda been something to write home about.

7. Diem-face says:

Now that’s awesome!

8. Hamish Annan says:

This mission was awesome! The reaction from those ladies was soo funny! I don’t think I could have helped not taking a picture of Vader either! Great job guys, can’t see what you come up with next!

9. pete says:

wow you guys really effing rock!! bravo!!!

10. Joyce says:

Oh my goodness I am so happy that College Humor and Improv Everywhere are finally teaming up! My two favorite comedy groups together! I can now die in peace.

I wish I was there to witness it but still glad you guys always have these blog entries to make it seem as if I really was. I am proud to be a New Yorker. THANKYOU!

11. Cyrik says:

Wonderfully, this is exactly what IE is here for. ^_^ Good job everyone!

12. Jiko Hitasura says:

You guys make me wish I lived in New York XD This totally made my whole day!

13. Andrew says:

How is this your latest mission in NYC. If everyone is dressed like it’s winter?

• Ryan says:

They said it was a rainy day, don’t you put on warm clothes when its a cold rainy day?

• Charlie Todd says:

We did it in March. It’s the latest mission on the site. We pretty frequently do missions and then release them months later for a variety of reasons. In this case, we didn’t want it to be back-to-back with our Ghostbusters video.

• Sharon says:

The weather in NY is unpredictable at times, it’ll be 100 degrees one day, and 50 the next. We’re used to seeing crazy on the carts, but this is fun crazy! Awesome job!

14. Iggy says:

Oh wow. I really, really wish I lived in New York. Right now. Actually, before this happened. But still. Me. New York. Now. Must happen before next IE prank. *frantically writes to-do list

15. ginny rea says:

This is really cool! I hope to be at the open event in the Fall. You guys are the best!

16. Fab says:

Money……… absolutely money!

17. Reyna says:

I wish so much that things like this happened in my area. XD I love your videos!

18. Raibaz says:

You guys are pure genius, but this is no news :)

19. Ryan says:

20. armann says:

hehe nice awesome act i want to join Improv Everywhere but becose i live in iceland and do not plan to move or even visit america in the next years than i cant…

21. Where did you get the costumes from? Are they rubies supreme? The storm troopers could have done with a neck seal but aside from that they look pretty good. Reminds me of halloween when i went on the train to the the club dressed in my Biker Scout armour :)

• Brian says:

i wasn’t a part of this video but yes those were rubies supreme vader and stromtroopers costumes. They aren’t the quality of 501st costumes, but for a funny skit like that, who cares.

• Charlie Todd says:

I actually sent emails to all of the leadership for the local 501st legions, but only got a response from one guy, who ended up canceling because of the rain. I would have loved to have the 501st and their awesome costumes in this video.

22. Dom says:

Excellent mission! I was rather hoping the scene would end with Vader asking if the train stopped at Union Square.

Please keep them coming. If only you could do some London missions to lighten up our British commutes.

23. Shaggy says:

Even stormtroopers know proper subway protocol – waiting for passengers to exit before getting on! Thank you for pointing this out to locals and tourists…lol. Love your stuff!

24. I think Governor Tarkin was on the 6 train the other night. I recognized his foul stench when I was brought on board.

25. Denice Szafran says:

Wonderful performance! Bravo!

26. Ron says:

I really like the duct tape holding the storm troopers shoulder together. Ha.

27. Charlie Yoyo says:

You call this “our latest mission”, but the subway passengers appear to be dressed for winter. When did this mission actually happen?
    Great job!

28. matt says:

You should have done this with No Pants.

29. Doug says:

30. AWESOME! Loved the reactions. Glad you finally moved past the “no clothes” thing…

31. Gareth says:

Well, it blow me away n also the others, Great force!

32. Carolyn West says:

This was great…loved it?

33. Jaypoc says:

IE never ceases to amaze me. You did an incredible job with this one. I can’t wait to see some of the behind the scenes footage and outtakes. Keep it up!

34. CJ says:

35. Agent Garrett says:

Loved it~!!!!! Thank you!! Can’t wait for the outtakes. Awesome and brilliant just does not do you justice. You are a gift to humanity hee hee!!

36. Peter says:

You guys are on the list of what makes New York the best city in the world. Because we have great creative minds like yours doing genius, fun ,creative stuff in our subways. ROCK!!!

37. Sharon says:

Wonderful. A side benefit of these stagings is how instantly the subway riders become a community–talking to each other when they normally would never do that.

38. Kurt says:

Is Princess Leia single?

39. Neil B says:

Watching that gave me chills. Best IE so far, by a long shot.

Loved it!

40. HAhahaha!!! Loved it!! One of my favorite missions soo far… pulls on the whole… waaaaaaaait for it idea.. And I was waiting for Han Solo to come up at the next stop! Maybe a reprise coming up?

41. Elise says:

OMG!! I wish I could have seen this!!! Of course, I would probably have been quoting the scene along with the agents. “You are a traitor!!!!” Yessss!!!!

42. Patrick says:

Great work! I really enjoyed it.

43. Lin says:

I just wish I had been part of the audience at least!! I want to join your missions please!

44. Cassandra says:

haha, the force is with you! it is especially funny that vadar hit his helmet on the door frame when there is a goof on “a new hope” (episode 4) where a stormtrooper can be seen bonking his head on the door, too. when the new dvd’s came out a few years ago, they even added a sound effect because it was so famously known!

• nia says:

Not only that, but in one of the newer movies Jango Fett is seen hitting his helmet on his ship as well… just to keep it consistant.

I LOVED this! Wish I had caught the performance :-)

45. Alwyn says:

Terrific! A great skit that I’m sure made everyone’s day! May the force be with you!

46. the silver fox says:

best one ever!

47. the yellow tooth hawk says:

pure genius!

48. Eston Martz says:

I love that Princess Leia is reading the RE/Search “Pranks” book under the “Galactic Rebellion for Dummies” cover. The whole exercise was brilliant and delightful. Thank you.

49. Stina says:

Oh! I so wich I lived in the US.
    Love every littte thing that you do. And for a Star Wars fan, this one was absolutley one of the top favourites <3

… and please do come to Sweden someday! =)

50. Kristen says:

The Vader entrance was PERFECT. I’ve never watched Star Wars, but am familiar with the characters, etc. by being alive in the USA and this was AWESOME. SO SO SO funny. I second the person (above) who said Leia had the perfect amount of royal dignity, etc. It was SO great. When I first read the title I went, “Ugh, Star Wars…”
    I take it back.
    Genius, Hilarious and Successful!

51. TJ says:

Well done and very entertaining… but not the kind of thing that actually fools anyone, that is, it doesn’t take them in bit by bit by surprise like when a musical happens in a grocery store and you don’t know who’s going to start singing next.
    Don’t get me wrong, very well done and amusing, and a treat for those there; but not the same caliber of surprise factor as most IE work. Having everyone laugh when Vader got on the train just shows you were getting the comedy reaction, not the classic IE surprise I-can’t-believe-this-is-happening reaction that is so awesome.

• Ivy says:

Because you wouldn’t have been surprised if this happened on your morning commute???

• Jada says:

in reply to TJ It might have been more of a surprise-I-can’t-believe-this-is-happening-wow-you-really fooled-me if they had people dressed in street clothes and riding on the subway get involved in trying to rescue Princess Leaia. I loved it though it was funny and I’m sure it lightened the mood I know it made my day.

52. Heather Cross says:

That was amazing, as always! What you guys do is so kind. Thank you for making my, and I’m sure many other people’s day!

53. Arno says:

Love it!!!

54. marinax says:

could you do that in my city?! yes?! would you?!! pleeeaaaasseee?!!! pleeeeaaaseeeee?!!!

55. gina says:

awesomeness. it’s always great to make subway passengers actually smile and feel silly. good job as always. :)

56. They came first for Princess Leia, and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t Princess Leia.

They came next for the Rebels, and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a rebel.

Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak up.

57. trouvera says:

Love the pic of Vader waiting by himself on the platform!!

58. bnbn says:

Cute, and I remember groups doing subway improv in the early 90s. But there is a certain arrogance in performing to a captured audience. You assume that your show is more important than what anyone else on the train might be doing, whether is reading for school or just trying to have their only peaceful moment of the day.

• Shmendrake says:

Yeah, bah-humbug! And why aren’t the orphanages and work-houses full? Decrease the surplus population!

59. David says:

Man, this was the happiest moment in the day for them!
    The kids thought they were in Disneyland New York, hheehe

60. IE Junkie says:

Wow1 May the farce be with you.

61. infotangent says:

That is great! You should do more Star Wars improv on Star Wars Day (May, 4) – May the Fourth be with you!

62. Holly says:

You guys just made my day! Wish I could have been there!

63. Lindsey says:

I think I would have cried if I was on that train when Darth Vader entered. What a perfect moment. Awesome work dudes. Nice acting all around as well.

64. Norbert says:

THis is hilarious. I wish I could have seen it in person. I take the (6) train everyday.

Only in NY.

65. Christy says:

Brilliant use of Holst’s “Mars” for the music!
    This is one of the greatest missions you’ve done.

66. Itti says:

Really enjoyed watching it, it would have been great to have been there!

Is this really improv though? It didn’t seem like you interacted with the other passengers much, just acted out a rehearsed scene.

I enjoyed it regardless and look forward to seeing more from you guys.

67. Carolyn says:

This actually made me cry. Loved it! My daughter goes to school in NYC and I really hope that someday she will be there when you guys do something awesome!

68. Tim says:

Ok, great idea and great execution. The problem is the acting. Vader would never talk like that. Way too many words…he is slow and calm, always. And maybe somebody with a lower voice? – not a Star Wars geek

• Charlie Todd says:

Not really sure it can be “too many words” when we used the script from the movie verbatim.

• Shmendrake says:

Too many words? That reminds me of the Austrian Emperor Joseph II’s reaction to the first performance of The Marriage of Figaro within the movie Amadeus: “Too many notes.”

69. Alex says:

Is that the Isao Tomita version of Mars?

70. Micah says:

Well done. One question: why does IE so often stage events on the 6 train? The IND/BMT (lettered) trains are much wider than the IRT (numbered) trains, and therefore would allow you much more room for staging events (and filming them) without obstruction.

• Charlie Todd says:

Mostly out of habit at this point. I like that the terminus is in Manhattan, so we can set up on empty cars and get the seats we want for our performers and hidden cameras.

• Peter says:

The E train also terminates in Manhattan, has the wider IND cars, and even better, mostly uses trains with bench seating parallel to the length of the car rather than the cars with the broken up two and three seat arrangements.

Though it’s typically not as crowded as the 6, so it’d make for smaller audiences.

71. John says:

Most excellently done. Thanks, it put a smile on me mug on a rainy humid NY kinda day.

72. Regina says:

You realize of course this necessitates a Star Trek spoof now… Maybe “The Encounter at Farpoint” trial? :)

73. Richard Facey says:

The storm troopers need their blasters.

74. Madman says:

This is one of the coolest clips i have ever seen.

75. Any two philosophers can tell each other all they know in two hours. — Holmes

76. Diane says:

Wouldn’t it have been a surprise if an unsuspecting, ordinary passenger whipped out a light saber, battled the storm troopers and saved the Princess from Darth Vader…

• He will. He will.
      Not only do you need to be an excellent Jedi to use a lightsaber well, you need to be the best.

Now why don’t you guys do me a favor and repeat this one, say October.

77. RuhRoh says:

Too cool!!! This made my day less crappy…

78. Anne says:

That was totally wicked. If you do anything like that again you should have Han Solo and Chewbacca getting chased by stormtroopers. That was one of my favorite scenes in that movie

79. Liz says:

80. Jon says:

That was absolutely awesome! Completely made my day. nice work!

81. Lucas says:

Isn’t Vader hitting his head on something a famously overlooked flub from the original Star Wars? Seems to me it was this scene where he did it. Someone correct me.

• Charlie Todd says:

It was a stormtrooper.

• chaneski says:

Quote: “As Jango is ducking into the entry hatch on his ship during his escape from Kamino, he’s seen to strike his head on the lower lip of the door. Animation supervisor Rob Coleman has described this as an inside joke referencing an actual mistake that made it into the final cut of the original Star Wars. When stormtroopers break into the control room where the droids are hiding in that film, one on the right-hand side of the screen can be seen running face-first into the lower edge of the door; the implication is that the stormtroopers, who were revealed in the prequels to have all been cloned from Jango, had inherited this slightly clumsy trait from him as well. However, this is almost certainly a case of the filmmakers sharing a winking reference rather than an actual, serious explanation. After all, most of the troops in Episode IV are standard humans, not clones.”

82. Bananamatic says:

Great news for Public Transportation.

83. Johnny Sakko says:

Awesome. Just wish I had caught it live.

84. Agent Gary says:

What was the plan if someone had attempted to foil the Princesses kidnapping?

85. Mango says:

That was awesome.

86. Oracle Guy says:

Lol, loved it! An epic *WIN* on a Galactic scale!

87. VC says:

you guys just made my day! Love it! Keep up the good work guys.

88. Jen says:

That was really well done! I thought it was a nice touch how the Stormtrooper’s voice sounded like it was coming through a radio. I did LOL at the Stormtrooper wearing Converse.

89. Gil says:

Would have died from laughter if I was there!

90. Dave says:

You guys are my hero! and heroine! Thanks for bringing some levity down into the dungeons of the NYC subway system… I think you guys have created something really big here. Congrats and best of luck in your future galactic arrests.

May the Force be with you

91. Joseph says:

A wonderful prank. I am glad that I am not the only person who could do this scene cold from memory.

What I thought was best about the video was your synthpop remix of Mars: Bringer of War. who mixed that, and is it downloadable?

92. Alex says:

Great! But stormtroopers (and the occasional bounty hunter) should have hit their heads on the doorway. Not Vader!

93. Paul Klenk says:

Next time, add these scenes, before/after the ones you played:

1. Leia records her plea to Obi Wan into R2D2, who rolls away;
    2. Play existing scenes as they are;
    3. After Leia is taken away, R2D2 reappears with C3P0, who argues with him. The droid jettisons out of the subway car;
    4 Stormtroopers reappear and whisk away a hysterical 3P0.

94. Martin says:

95. SR says:

But masks are illegal in New York! :P

• Charlie Todd says:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _________
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ./ It’s a trap!
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _,,,–~~~~~~~~–,_ . . . . ._________/
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,-‘ : : : :::: :::: :: : : : : :º ‘-, . . /. . . . . . . . . .
      . . . . . . . . . . . . .,-‘ :: : : :::: :::: :::: :::: : : :o : ‘-, . . . . . . . . . .
      . . . . . . . . . . . ,-‘ :: ::: :: : : :: :::: :::: :: : : : : :O ‘-, . . . . . . . . .
      . . . . . . . . . .,-‘ : :: :: :: :: :: : : : : : , : : :º :::: :::: ::’; . . . . . . . .
      . . . . . . . . .,-‘ / / : :: :: :: :: : : :::: :::-, ;; ;; ;; ;; ;; ;; ; . . . . . . . .
      . . . . . . . . /,-‘,’ :: : : : : : : : : :: :: :: : ‘-, ;; ;; ;; ;; ;; ;;| . . . . . . .
      . . . . . . . /,’,-‘ :: :: :: :: :: :: :: : ::_,-~~,_’-, ;; ;; ;; ;; | . . . . . . .
      . . . . . _/ :,’ :/ :: :: :: : : :: :: _,-‘/ : ,-‘;’-‘’’’’~-, ;; ;; ;;,’ . . . . . . . .
      . . . ,-‘ / : : : : : : ,-‘’’ : : :,–‘’ :|| /,-‘-‘–‘’’__,’’’ ;; ;,-‘ . . . . . . . .
      . . . :/,, : : : _,-‘ –,,_ : : : ||/ /,-‘-‘x### :: ;;/ . . . . . . . . . .
      . . . . / /—‘’’’ : # : : : : : | | : (O##º : :/ /-‘’ . . . . . . . . . . .
      . . . . /,’____ : : ‘-# : , : : : : ‘-,___,-‘,-`-,, . . . . . . . . . . .
      . . . . ‘ ) : : : :’’’’–,,–,,,,,,¯ :: ::–,,_’’-,,’’’¯ :’- :’-, . . . . . . . . .
      . . . . .) : : : : : : ,, : ‘’’’~~~~’ :: :: :: :’’’’’¯ :: ,-‘ :,/ . . . . . . . . .
      . . . . .,/ /|\| | :/ / : : : : : : : ,’-, :: :: :: :: ::,–‘’ :,-‘ . . . . . . . .
      . . . . .\’|\ |/ ‘/ / :: :_–,, : , | )’; :: :: :: :,-‘’ : ,-‘ : : : , . . . . . . .
      . . . ./¯ :| | : |/ :: ::—-, :/ :|/ :: :: ,-‘’ : :,-‘ : : : : : : ‘’-,,_ . . . .
      . . ..| : : :/ ‘’-(, :: :: :: ‘’’’’~,,,,,’’ :: ,-‘’ : :,-‘ : : : : : : : : :,-‘’’\ . . . .
      . ,-‘ : : : | : : ‘’) : : :¯’’’’~-,: : ,–‘’’ : :,-‘’ : : : : : : : : : ,-‘ :¯’’’’’-,_ .
      ./ : : : : :’-, :: | :: :: :: _,,-‘’’’¯ : ,–‘’ : : : : : : : : : : : / : : : : : : :’’-,
      / : : : : : -, :¯’’’’’’’’’’’¯ : : _,,-~’’ : : : : : : : : : : : : : :| : : : : : : : : :
      : : : : : : :¯’’~~~~~~’’’ : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : | : : : : : : : : :

96. Nedopak says:

I’m so bummed that didn’t happen in LA! ha ha Good work guys!

97. Amelie says:

Now I know why my sister Gwin hangs with you guys… you’re demented and living way outside the box.

98. This is hilarious. I wish I could have been there to see this in person. Having been 11 when Star Wars was released, I have very fond memories of this trilogy and I would have loved to see this recreated. Especially Vader hitting his head on his first entrance.

99. EPIC!
    I laughed so hard it hurt!

100. Cube Farm Boy says:

Please post this to! This is definitely an Epic Win!

101. unKnown says:

nice jobs ^^ luv it

102. Andrew says:

Somehow I missed this even though I subscribe to both the YouTube and the RSS. Oh well, that’s what friends are for.

103. metai says:

Wonderful performance, and glorious timing. Kudos.

Still, am I the only one saddened by the fact that noone can actually experience something himself anymore? As soon as anything out of the ordinary happens — even amongst dozens of people — each and everybody grabs a fistful of megapixels and from that moment on watches everything through the control monitor. Don’t people realize that making yourself a documenter puts you outside of any experience by definition?

104. Sora says:

That’s awesome!! I wish I could have been a part of that! Oh man…

105. Sean Brown says:

Come perform in CA! I need to be doing this sort of thing on a regular basis!

106. GRATEFUL HEAD says:

107. dennis says:

la cagada me encanto soy de chile un saludo al mundo

108. chaneski says:

Actually, my favorite part is “off-camera,” when the young guy asks “Sith Lord, is it OK if I take your picture?”

I’d have roared, “NO!!..” and then.. “..oh, okay.”

109. David says:

I want more of this! I was fun to watch.

110. Bubba says:

Great Job!
    which one of those buttons calls your parents to come pick you up?

111. Fernando F. says:

I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it!
    the reaction from the people was great too.

112. Craig says:

This is the best mission you’ve ever done.

113. Gaure says:

too cool man…

114. great, great, great

I really want try to it at my school ~~

115. Patty says:

116. bmfrosty says:

Was that the Isao Tomita version of Mars?

117. Emma says:

118. yewenyi says:

truly excellent!

119. redpanda says:

AWESOME .. I love all your work.

120. Nikita says:

Thanks for this video and this great perfomance!
    All my friends who love Star Wars enjoyed it very much.

121. Vladon says:

Great video.This really keeps me in a good mood.Thanks guys.

122. Nawyl says:

great idea, it’s Legendary

123. WorkerB says:

Really fun to watch people have a good time, even for just a brief time. You know they talked about it all day to everyone they came in contact with.
    Good job to all of you. Can’t wait for more! :)

124. janflora says:

Honestly my favorite one yet…love the book (“Princess Edition”-hilarious!) and the guy sitting next to Leia is awesome. His face! You guys rock my world :)

125. FreddieMertz says:

I kind of miss missions that are clever and subtle and confuse the bystanders who are caught up in it. Who would have seen this and thought it was anything but silly pranksters? Where’s the subversion?

126. Rich says:

At 0:36 that woman looks so much more like Princess Leia, I thought she might have been a plant or the real Princess in disguise!

127. eric and kids says:

great job!!! this was great….only in ny

128. Rob Young says:

OMG!!! I just posted this on facebook last night and now Ifind it on mental_floss’s website. This video is following me everywhere!!!

129. GeekEtte says:

Where was Princess Leia’s Intergalactic Cover Girl LIP GLOSS?? I mean, just because you’re in prison doesn’t mean you can’t look fabulous.

130. rocco says:

Cost of a subway fare: $2.25

Seeing Darth and the Stormtroopers on the 6 train:

131. Terrie says:

Cool! Great job :)

132. Rob says:

Fantastic! What a great idea, and the audience reactions were priceless.

133. Ken says:

Nice! The only thing that wasn’t true to the Star Wars script was the fact that Agent Lindquist is a better actor than Carrie Fisher..

134. Ken O says:

Do they use hidden cameras or do the subway passengers see a film crew on board?

135. Brian says:

Funny skit guys. I was introduced to your group with the ghostbusters video. I bet the guy doing vader was warm. I have the rubies Vader costume and it doesn’t breathe very well. I laughed my butt off on my lunch break. Well done guys.

136. Soozcat says:

The New York subway system. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

137. liu says:

nice done! they now should do the Mos Eilsey Cantina scene when Luke and Obi-Wan meet Han and Chewbacca in some bar or coffee shop. That’d be awesome to see chewbacca in a bar!

138. Sandra says:

Awesome mission, as usual! It wasn’t until I looked at the original “Dummies Book” template page that I understood the “LTA Edition” reference on the cover of “Galactic Rebellion for Dummies.” Brilliant! :-) Thanks for putting a smile on my face today.

139. hansfeuer says:

Unbelievably cool. I love when that old dude reads the book title, and he looks at her, then reads it again and thinks, “STAR WARS!”. This is just brilliant and it must’ve been a nightmare to pull off but man is it well done. Love the MOOG Synth score too. The dialogue sounds different when read by a stranger. This should be an ongoing performance piece that the subway hires them to do. Like in France! Nice work you guys. Thanks. Made my morning.

140. Rebecca says:

I enjoyed it. Wish I could of seen it live.

141. Matt says:

Featured on NPR!! Well done!

142. charles says:

I wonder what is was like without the music awkward lol actually bad ass good job!

143. Riley says:

I’m sure that you guys made someone’s crappy day feel a lot better after that. I wish that you guys just appeared whenever I was in public and having a crappy day. How could anyone not laugh?

144. B Smith says:

Congrats on getting covered on Countdown with Keith Olberman (MSNBC) tonight! GO TEAM!!!

145. Anthony says:

I’m very optimistic about the new progress that is being made on propulsion technologies, the future is open, there is a good possibility that lunar cities will become a reality during this century, going to Mars and beyond as well.

146. ujang says:

lol, that’s so fun… cool bro…

147. Jesse says:

Great work! Even better would be to plant a passenger taking photos and at the end have darth get pissed and use the force on them. “I said no photos! *slam into wall with the force and death grip*”

148. Spackle says:

149. Gaure says:

You guys are the coolest for real…

150. Greg Symons says:

I would LOVE to be part of something so COOL!!! To be in the “front row” and see everyone’s reactions to characters we all know and love would be AWESOME!! A performance executed perfectly. bravo!

151. valera says:

i’m a star wars fanatic and this really amazed me.
    oh i wish i was in new york!

harry potter next please

152. Wendell says:

I wanna party with you guys! This is so kewl! WOW!

153. laanba says:

I love you guys! Your stagings are clever and fun and always have a positive vibe to them that I think other mass improv/flash mob organizers around the country miss. And well Star Wars. I am a child of Star Wars so this completely rocks.

154. DarkHelmet says:

A Subway Vader?
    Why not?
    The city has lots of Taxi Vaders. ;)

(Not to mention all the Ellie Vaders)

155. It is amazing to see how much the Star Wars universe belongs to general cultural knowledge. I did expect to see some puzzled faces but EVERYBODY seemed to get it right away.

156. Alex says:

That was awesome! Thanks for the laugh. Does the Princess have a boyfriend? She’s pretty hot…

157. Will SW says:

I look forward to a part 2…

158. rBoLt says:

WOW!!! great work guys!! im totally impressed… how i wish i was there!

159. Soul_Est says:

That was wonderful and I’m sure you made a lot of peoples’ days because you all definitely made mine.

160. Amaury says:

Real fun, they should do this in the subways in Belgium!

161. Jeff says:

Truly awesome! Loved this mission, thanks so much!! J

162. Dillan says:

I have watched, read, and been fascinated by your website. I acted in college in various plays so I find these performances to be amazing. This is by far the best one yet. Darth Vader is an icon and should be considered for all future Star Wars scenes. Keep up the amazing missions!

163. Joann says:

Wow, the subways way cleaner than I remember them! Great bit!

164. Luden says:

It’s cool!

165. T says:

Just saw this on CNN…great stuff!!

166. Kostej Nesmrtelny says:

They say that laughter is improving length of human life. If that is true, I’ll live forever :). Many thanks from Czech Rep.

167. silvio says:

You guys were complite amazing!! no words!! I loved it!!

168. Nat says:

I absolutely loved this!!! you have to keep this coming…. STAR WARS rocks!

169. Pablo says:

Absolutely wonderful.

170. Ryan says:

Really funny, love everything that you guys do. Being a musician, I love to be able to connect with people and make them feel better through music, just like you guys do with your stunts. Keep up the good work.

171. Patricia says:

If only something this exciting happened on my L car (in Chicago) someday! (And if only some passengers would be as polite as the Stormtroopers.) The Force is obviously with you. Thanks from a forever Star Wars fan!

172. I can't think of a name says:

So now I know what that was all about! I was there on that subway, when all of this happens. It was so funny and everyone was laughing and having a great time. I wasn’t sure what it was though, so I, being the persistent person I am, looked up “Star Wars Subway” and luckily, this came up! Well done.

173. João Textor says:

You guys are amazing. I wish here in Brazil we had a group like yours to spread fun and peace everywhere.

good luck, bye.

174. carlos a says:

Mission accomplished…what fun to be part of this…wish we had a subway.
    thanks for the smile…and good luck on your next performance piece.

175. 360Dewan says:

Man u guys are amazing XD

176. PapaFrita says:

This one-two-three punch is a great setup for many missions, and you guys should consider changing the theme around while keeping the basic idea. The first person in costume is amusing, the second is funny, and the third stop makes it an awesome prank. Other possible themes:

Sarah Connor, attacked by a T2, saved by a T1
    Ape, homo erectus, caveman

177. KnitSpirit says:

Congratulations! This is awesome! I wish there was stuff like this in Paris subway! ^^

178. caidas says:

Muy bueno primo…

179. docpierce says:

Did the guy playing Darth Vader happen to be in a bank in New Jersey yesterday around noon? Maybe mixing up re-enacting a bank robbery with star wars?

180. Man says:

This is great! I noticed the lack of “blasters” was that for the sake of not causing a security issue?

181. Jeeves says:

I can just imagine some little old lady grabbing Leia by the arm, saying: “You know dear, he’s your daddy”…

182. Igor says:

Fantastic !
    The sickest thing though, I was totally expecting one of the stormtroopers to hit his head on the way in XD
    Amazing, really wish I was there :)
    Keep up your brilliant work !