Here are the full details for the Mp3 Los Angeles project taking place on Saturday, October 5 in front of the Walt Disney Concert Hall. Please take the time to read all of the instructions on this page.
Date: October 5 (rain or shine)
Location: Area in front of the Walt Disney Concert Hall [111 S. Grand Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90012]
Time: The event will begin at exactly 1:30:00 PM. Arrive early! It will be over by 2:15.
Wear: A Red, Blue, Yellow, or Green shirt
Bring: A camera, bubbles, and an object or photograph from 10 years ago. (Hide these items in your pockets or a backpack/purse.)
Full instructions below:
1. Download the Mp3: DOWNLOAD LINK (Right click and save the link. If you just click on the link it will start playing in your browser. Spoilers!)
Note: The filename for the track is “mp3_los_angeles.mp3″ and the album, artist, and track name will be “Mp3 Los Angeles.”
iOS users (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) can also download the mp3 directly to their device via podcast. PODCAST LINK (chose “Mp3 Los Angeles”)
2. Load the track onto your mp3 player (iPhone, etc.)
3. Do not listen to the track.
4. Wear a shirt that is one of the following colors: Red, Blue, Yellow, or Green.
5. Bring bubbles, a camera, and an object or photograph that is 10 years old. (Hide these items in your pockets or a backpack/purse.)
6. Bring a watch with a second hand (or use your cell phone if it displays seconds.) Before you leave, sync it up to this atomic clock:
If you have an iPhone, consider downloading this app that will give you the exact atomic time in the field. Don’t count on your phone’s clock being the same time as the clock above– make sure to sync!
7. As 1:30 approaches, blend in with the area naturally as if nothing is up, and stand or sit anywhere in the shaded zone in this map:
View Mp3 Los Angeles in a larger map
8. At exactly 1:30:00 PM, press play.
Frequently Asked Questions
Say what now?
If you’ve never heard of The Mp3 Experiment series, check out our coverage of the past ten years. In addition to The Mp3 Experiment, Improv Everywhere organizes hilarious participatory public projects year round. Check out the rest of this site to see our work!
How will we know when to start?
You will have synchronized your watch or cell phone clock to the atomic clock above. If your phone does not allow you to adjust by seconds, you have two choices: 1) Bring a watch. 2) Figure out how off your phone is and adjust accordingly.
Can I use my iPhone/Android phone?
Yes, but if you use an phone, be sure to put it in airplane mode so you don’t get interrupted by a call. Also, as noted above your automatically set clock could still be several seconds off. So note the difference and adjust accordingly, or download this app (iOS) that will show you the correct time.
Should I listen to the track beforehand?
Can I listen to the track beforehand?
You really shouldn’t. Sure, there’s nothing we can do to stop you, but to really get the full experience of the event, you shouldn’t listen to it. It will spoil most of the fun. We know it’s hard to resist. Be strong.
What if I get to the event late?
Press play at the start time wherever you may be, and hurry up! Obviously be safe and don’t rush when crossing streets, etc.
What if I don’t press play at exactly the right time?
If you can tell you are significantly off, feel free to glance at a neighbor’s device and try to sync back up to the correct time. You’ll have more fun if you’re more in sync.
Do I need to RSVP?
Nope you can just show up. Or if you like, RSVP on Facebook
Other fun events!
Come early on Saturday, October 5th and take part in the other events happening at The Music Center. Details here.