Here are the full details for The Mp3 Experiment taking place on Saturday, July 12th at 5 PM in Singapore. Please take the time to read all of the instructions on this page.
Date: July 12 (rain or shine)
Location: Gardens by Bay (see details below)
Time: The event will begin at exactly 5:00:00 PM. Arrive early!
Wear: A blue, yellow, green, or white shirt
Bring: You’re going to need your MP3 device, loaded with the MP3 track, a pair of headphones, something you can use as a cape, and all of your friends.
Full instructions below:
1. Download the Mp3:
There are 2 ways to download the mp3. Direct download (to your computer hard drive, Android phone, etc.) and iTunes Podcast link (iOS):
- DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK
(Right click and save the link. If you just click on the link it will start playing in your browser. Spoilers!)
Note: The filename for the track is “mp3_experiment_singapore_2014.mp3″ and the album, artist, and track name will be “Mp3 Experiment Singapore 2014.”
- iTunes Podcast Link
The app is also available as a podcast in the iTunes store, and you can download it free to your iOS device using the built-in podcast app.
2. Load the track onto your mp3 player (iPod, etc.)
3. Do not listen to the track.
4. Bring something you can wear as a cape (towel, sheet, etc. – hide this until it’s time to take it out.)
5. Bring a watch with a second hand (or use your cell phone if it displays seconds.) Before you leave, sync it up to this atomic clock:
(If your browser doesn’t show the clock above, you can use this link to get the correct time; note that the hour is off, but the minute and seconds are correct.)
If you have an iPhone, consider downloading this app that will give you the exact atomic time in the field. Don’t count on your phone’s clock being the same time as the clock above– make sure to sync!
6. As 5:00 approaches, blend in with the area naturally as if nothing is up, and stand or sit anywhere in one of four starting locations, based on your birthday:
Starting points (marked by yellow stars in map above):
• Area around Flower Dome (Dec, Jan & April babies)
• Heritage Gardens at the Dragonfly Bridge (Feb, March & May babies)
• Golden Gardens (Jun, Jul & Aug babies)
• Silver Gardens (Sept, Oct & Nov babies)
8. At exactly 5:00:00 PM, press play.
Directions to Gardens by Bay:
MRT & Bus
Via the Circle Line or Downtown Line:
• Alight at Bayfront MRT Station (CE1/DT16)
• Take Exit B and follow the underground linkway
• Exit and cross the Dragonfly Bridge or Meadow Bridge into Gardens by the Bay
Via the North South / Circle Line:
• Alight at Marina Bay MRT Station (NS27/CE2)
• Take Exit B and head towards the bus stop 03531 located at Marina Bay Financial Centre Tower 3, Central Boulevard before Marina Way
Hop onto bus service 400 and alight at the bus stop 03371 along Marina Gardens Drive
Go to this site for more info on getting there and parking.
Frequently Asked Questions
Say what now?
If you’ve never heard of The Mp3 Experiment, check out our coverage of the past ten years. In addition to The Mp3 Experiment, Improv Everywhere organizes hilarious participatory public projects year round. Check out the rest of this site to see our work!
How will we know when to start?
You will have synchronized your watch or cell phone clock to the atomic clock above. If your phone does not allow you to adjust by seconds, you have two choices: 1) Bring a watch. 2) Figure out how off your phone is and adjust accordingly.
Can I use my iPhone?
Yes, but if you use an iPhone, be sure to put it in airplane mode so you don’t get interrupted by a call. Also, as noted above your automatically set clock could still be several seconds off. So note the difference and adjust accordingly, or download this app that will show you the correct time.
Should I listen to the track beforehand?
Can I listen to the track beforehand?
You really shouldn’t. Sure, there’s nothing we can do to stop you, but to really get the full experience of the event, you shouldn’t listen to it. It will spoil most of the fun. We know it’s hard to resist. Be strong.
What if I get to the event late?
Press play at the start time wherever you may be, and hurry up! Obviously be safe and don’t rush when crossing streets, etc.
What if I don’t press play at exactly the right time?
If you can tell you are significantly off, feel free to glance at a neighbor’s device and try to sync back up to the correct time. You’ll have more fun if you’re more in sync.
Terms and conditions of participation
1. If I am below 18 years of age I will seek parental or guardian consent before participating in the event. I will also show my parent or guardian these terms and seek their consent.
2. I declare that I have no medical condition that would affect my safety and physical well being arising from my participation in this Event and I am medically and physically fit and competent to participate in the Event. It is my responsibility to have myself certified fit to participate in the event if I am unsure of my state of health. I will stop participating immediately and seek help from the nearest volunteer at any point I am feeling unwell.
3 I understand that MP3 Experiment is a mass event with a thousand participants, and will involve physical activity that may be strenuous. I also understand that the event will be in a public place where there may be strangers outside the control of the Organisers. I accept all the risks associated with this event, and I will take responsibility for reducing my own risks.
Waiver of Liability
4 I confirm that the representations, warranties and undertakings above are true and correct and I (and my heirs, successors and assigns) shall waive, release, discharge and undertake that I (and my heirs, successors and assigns) shall not make any claims or lodge any complaints whatsoever against the Organiser, Sponsors or Officials of the Event for any injury, death or losses/damages to property sustained during the Event.
5 Further I (my heirs, successors and assigns) shall indemnify and hold the Organiser, Sponsors, appointed officials/suppliers harmless from any claim, demand, proceedings, costs, expenses liabilities loss or damage (whether direct or consequential) made by third parties, arising from any injury or death or damage or loss to any property arising out of my breach of the representations, warranties and undertakings
I have read and understood the above and will participate on the understanding that I will adhere to all the rules and undertakings.