Here are the full details for Improv Everywhere’s Mp3 Experiment taking place on Wednesday, May 9 in Montreal. Please take the time to read all of the instructions on this page. This event is a collaboration with Just for Laughs and is part of their 30th anniversary celebration.
Date: Wednesday, May 9 at 5:17 (rain or shine)
Location: Downtown Montreal (see specifics below)
Time: The event will begin at exactly 5:17:00 PM. Arrive early!
Wear: A Red, Blue, Yellow, or Green shirt
Bring: A Red or Green uninflated balloon.
Full instructions below:
1. Download the Mp3: DOWNLOAD (Right click and save the link. If you just click on the link it will start playing in your browser. Spoilers!)
Note: The filename for the track is “mp3_experiment_montreal.mp3″ and the album, artist, and track name will be “Mp3 Experiment Montreal.”
2. Load the track onto your mp3 player (iPod, etc.)
3. Do not listen to the track.
4. Wear a shirt that is one of the following colors: Red, Blue, Yellow, or Green.
5. Bring an uninflated balloon. (Any kind of balloon that can be blown up.)
6. Bring a watch with a second hand (or use your cell phone if it displays seconds.) Before you leave, sync it up to this atomic clock:
(If your browser doesn’t show the clock above, you can use this link to get the correct time; note that the hour is off, but the minute and seconds are correct.)
If you have an iPhone, consider downloading this app that will give you the exact atomic time in the field. Don’t count on your phone’s clock being the same time as the clock above– make sure to sync!
7. As 5:17 PM approaches, position yourself inside any retail store within the blue-shaded area on the map below. Behave as though you are a normal customer shopping in the store and prepare to press play without drawing attention to yourself. Spread out so that you are not too close to friends or others wearing headphones. If the store seems excessively crowded, find another one.
View Mp3 Experiment Montreal in a larger map
8. At exactly 5:17:00 PM, press play.
Frequently Asked Questions
Say what now?
If you’ve never heard of The Mp3 Experiment, check out our coverage of the past eight years. In addition to The Mp3 Experiment, Improv Everywhere organizes hilarious participatory public projects year round. Check out the rest of this site to see our work!
How will we know when to start?
You will have synchronized your watch or cell phone clock to the atomic clock above. If your phone does not allow you to adjust by seconds, you have two choices: 1) Bring a watch. 2) Figure out how off your phone is and adjust accordingly.
Can I use my iPhone?
Yes, but if you use an iPhone, be sure to put it in airplane mode so you don’t get interrupted by a call. Also, as noted above your automatically set clock could still be several seconds off. So note the difference and adjust accordingly, or download this app that will show you the correct time.
Should I listen to the track beforehand?
Can I listen to the track beforehand?
You really shouldn’t. Sure, there’s nothing we can do to stop you, but to really get the full experience of the event, you shouldn’t listen to it. It will spoil most of the fun. We know it’s hard to resist. Be strong.
What if I get to the event late?
Press play at the start time wherever you may be, and hurry up! Obviously be safe and don’t rush when crossing streets, etc.
What if I don’t press play at exactly the right time?
If you can tell you are significantly off, feel free to glance at a neighbor’s device and try to sync back up to the correct time. You’ll have more fun if you’re more in sync.
Do I need to RSVP?
Nope. But you can on Facebook if you like: [facebook link]