Here are the full details for The Mp3 Experiment taking place on Saturday, April 12th on the National Mall in Washington, DC. This event is hosted by Vocus for its Demand Success Conference. Please take the time to read all of the instructions on this page.
Date: April 12 (rain or shine)
Location: National Mall between 6th and 7th Streets SW
Time: The event will begin at exactly 3:00:00 PM. Arrive early! It will be over by 4 PM.
Wear: A Red, Blue, Yellow, or Green shirt
Bring: (keep these items hidden in your pocket or bag.)
- One sheet of white 8.5 x 11 inch paper
- A single dollar bill
RSVP: Facebook event (Not required, but appreciated. Invite friends!)
Full instructions below:
1. Download the Mp3: DOWNLOAD (Right click and save the link. If you just click on the link it will start playing in your browser. Spoilers!)
Note: The filename for the track is “mp3_experiment_dc_2014.mp3″ and the album, artist, and track name will be “Mp3 Experiment DC 2014.”
iOS users (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) can also download the mp3 directly to their device via podcast. (Download “The Mp3 Experiment DC 2014.”)
2. Load the track onto your mp3 player (iPhone, etc.)
3. Do not listen to the track.
4. Wear a shirt that is one of the following colors: Red, Blue, Yellow, or Green.
5. Bring the items listed above. When you arrive to the location look for a representative in a bright lime green shirt and receive a special prop from them. Look for them on the gravel sidewalks on the perimeter of the grass. Keep that prop hidden with the others in your pocket or bag until instructed to take it out.
6. Bring a watch with a second hand (or use your cell phone if it displays seconds.) Before you leave, sync it up to this atomic clock:
If you have an iPhone, consider downloading this app that will give you the exact atomic time in the field. Don’t count on your phone’s clock being the same time as the clock above– make sure to sync!
7. As 3:00 approaches, blend in with the area naturally as if nothing is up, and stand or sit anywhere in the shaded zone in this map:
8. At exactly 3:00:00 PM, press play.
Frequently Asked Questions
Say what now?
If you’ve never heard of The Mp3 Experiment, check out our coverage of the past ten years. In addition to The Mp3 Experiment, Improv Everywhere organizes hilarious participatory public projects year round. Check out the rest of this site to see our work!
How will we know when to start?
You will have synchronized your watch or cell phone clock to the atomic clock above. If your phone does not allow you to adjust by seconds, you have two choices: 1) Bring a watch. 2) Figure out how off your phone is and adjust accordingly.
Can I use my iPhone/Android phone?
Yes, but if you use a phone, be sure to put it in airplane mode so you don’t get interrupted by a call. Also, as noted above your automatically set clock could still be several seconds off. So note the difference and adjust accordingly, or download this app (iOS) that will show you the correct time.
Should I listen to the track beforehand?
Can I listen to the track beforehand?
You really shouldn’t. Sure, there’s nothing we can do to stop you, but to really get the full experience of the event, you shouldn’t listen to it. It will spoil most of the fun. We know it’s hard to resist. Be strong.
What if I get to the event late?
Press play at the start time wherever you may be, and hurry up! Obviously be safe and don’t rush when crossing streets, etc.
What if I don’t press play at exactly the right time?
If you can tell you are significantly off, feel free to glance at a neighbor’s device and try to sync back up to the correct time. You’ll have more fun if you’re more in sync.
Do I need to RSVP?
Nope you can just show up. Or if you like, RSVP on Facebook (invite friends!)
Thanks again to Vocus for hosting this event!