No Pants Subway Ride 2010 Details for NY

Last year’s No Pants Subway Ride

UPDATE: Just added Flushing Meadows Park as a 6th location!

All are invited to participate in the 9th Annual No Pants Subway Ride. The event will take place at 3:00 PM on Sunday, January 10. Everything you need to know is in this post. Please read it carefully!

REQUIREMENTS FOR PARTICIPATION:

1) Willing to take pants off on subway
2) Able to keep a straight face about it

**THIS IS A PARTICIPATORY EVENT. DO NOT SHOW UP UNLESS YOU PLAN TO TAKE YOUR PANTS OFF.**

DETAILS

When: Sunday, January 10 at 3:00 PM, Sharp! (Over by around 5:30)
Where: Six meeting points spread out all over New York City. Details below.
Bring: A backpack and a metro card.
Wear: Normal winter clothes (hat, gloves, etc)
Facebook: You can RSVP to the Facebook Event

Complete logistics below:

HOW IT WORKS

There are six meeting points this year. Take your pick.

Astoria: Meet at Hoyt Playground – Google Map
Downtown Brooklyn: Meet at Prospect Park – Google Map
Downtown Manhattan: Meet at Foley Square – Google Map
Queens: Meet at the Unisphere in Flushing Meadows Park – Google Map
Uptown Manhattan: Meet at the Great Hill in Central Park – Google Map
Williamsburg / Bushwick: Meet at Bushwick Park (AKA Maria Hernandez Park) – Google Map

Everyone should meet at their chosen meeting point at 3 PM. Please be on time. Feel free to be early.

At the meeting points, participants will be organized into groups and assigned a specific train car. Once everyone is divided up we will all head to nearby subway station[s]. Do not talk to others once you enter the subway system. No one knows each other.

Sit in the car as you normally would. Read a magazine or whatever you would normally do. Your team leader will have already divided you into smaller groups, assigning your group a specific stop where you will depants.

As soon as the doors shut at the stop before yours, stand up and take your pants off and put them in your backpack. If you’d like to use a briefcase, purse, grocery bag, or whatever instead of a backpack that’s fine too. If anyone asks you why you’ve removed your pants, tell them that they were “getting uncomfortable” (or something along those lines.)

Exit the train at your assigned stop and stand on the platform, pantless. You will wait on the platform for the next train to arrive. Stay in the exact same place on the platform so you enter the next train in the same car as you exited the last train.

When you enter, act as you normally would. You do not know any of the other pantless riders. If questioned, tell folks that you “forgot to wear pants” and yes you are “a little cold.” Insist that it is a coincidence that others also forgot their pants. Be nice and friendly and normal.

All train routes will converge on Union Square. Your exact route will be explained at the meeting point, and may involve a transfer.

You can wear fun underwear if you like, but nothing that screams out, “I wore this because I’m doing a silly stunt.” Wear two pairs of underwear if it makes you feel more comfortable. Don’t wear a thong or anything else that might offend people. Our aim is to make people laugh, not piss them off.

If you haven’t already, please take a moment to read about previous No Pants! Subway Rides.

Please leave your cameras at home and resist the temptation to snap photos with your iPhone, etc. while the event is happening. Take as many as you like before and after the event, but during the ride we really want people to enjoy the experience of participating rather than documenting. It detracts from the mission if everyone is taking photos of each other rather than keeping a straight face. Don’t worry, we have photographers assigned to every meeting point who will take great photos.

This is always a blast, and we look forward to seeing you there. You may bring along friends if you like, but make sure they get a chance to read all of these instructions.

See you on the 10th!

(Information for participating in other cities is here.)

Be aware that by participating, you recognize that Improv Everywhere is not liable in the event you are injured, arrested, or worse. By choosing to participate you are still responsible for your actions.

Comments

comments

164 Responses to No Pants Subway Ride 2010 Details for NY

1. George says:

If this happens to coincide with laundry day, I may have to go commando.

2. Kate says:

I am super excited. :-) Can’t wait.

3. Jason Davis says:

Here we go again!! See you all there!

Who’s up for No-Pants-Karaoke again?

• Rachel says:

yessssss! can’t wait to do our 3rd one together! which meeting spot should we go to?

• ari says:

Come to Astoria! We rule. Let the battle of best meeting point begin!

• Kira says:

I think Downtown Manhattan. Keeping up with tradition- shall we Brunch first?

• Jim says:

Best way to get from Astoria to Union Square is either N or W train (only about 15 stops). That will be much shorter ride compare with the downtown Manhattan 6 train to 125th street and coming back to Union Square.

I did no pants last year with the 6 train group. Personally I think the ride was too long (about 30 train stops together, and my 6 train group was the last group reached Union Square). So I will prefer Astoria if we can arrive at Union Square before the sunset. The only problem is that I do not know how many people will be doing it in Astoria. A group that is too small will not be very interesting experience.

4. JihanSketchs says:

So. This should be hilarious. I wonder what type of hat I’ll wear on my head…

5. cas says:

The 10th is going to be the coldest day we have so far. Be careful

6. Brian says:

Unfortunately that day I will be taking the train back up to Rochester, NY.

No Pants Amtrak?

7. Duckladynh says:

Aaah. I live in NH so I won’t be able to join you all. Maybe I’ll take my pants off in the woods and scare the deer.

Have a terrific time!

8. cristian says:

It’s gonna be almost as awesome as me:) can’t wait to …

9. Randy C. says:

Randy C. Will be returning this year for no pants, cant wait! had a blast for 2k8

10. Krys says:

Would it kill you guys to involve Bronxites? We have plenty of trains that go straight in to union square and would love to participate if given the opportunity.

11. Liz says:

Oh how I wish sometimes that I lived in New York. You have too much fun. I loved the Invisible Dog Day. Thank to all of you with a sense of humor.

12. Fallon says:

SO down for pantsless karaoke! Anyone going? Add me on Facebook and let’s meet up!

13. Dynasty says:

excited, this is my first time !

14. Dynasty says:

there should be more pantless events :)

15. bhujanga says:

@ Jason and Fallon: I’m up for some No Pants Karaoke afterward.

16. Agent Ybot says:

May I speak for the under 21 pantless minority? I’m 17 and every year I miss out on the after pantsing festivities. Could there be an alternative to a bar this year?

17. Patrick B says:

I’m bringing my Sony eReader for this year’s ride.

Where are we meeting in Prospect Park? I guess we are taking the F-train into Manhattan?

Oh! What to wear? I did the suit thing last year.

18. the silver fox says:

this is going to be the best damn subway ride ever

19. CG says:

The New York lewdness/indecency laws (below) seem to permit the no pants subway ride so long as you’re not wearing thongs (thus “private” areas), so does anyone know if anything came of the arrests in 2006 and have there been any arrests since that time? The state law carves out the ability for local ordinances to create a higher burden, so does anyone know if NYC has heightened the standard? I would love to do this but I’d rather not be arrested for it.

§ 245.00 Public lewdness: A person is guilty of public lewdness when he intentionally exposes the private or intimate parts of his body in a lewd manner or commits any other lewd act (a) in a public place, or (b) in private premises under circumstances in which he may readily be observed from either a public place or from other private premises, and with intent that he be so observed. Public lewdness is a class B misdemeanor.

§ 245.01 Exposure of a person: A person is guilty of exposure if he appears in a public place in such a manner that the private or intimate parts of his body are unclothed or exposed. For purposes of this section, the private or intimate parts of a female person shall include that portion of the breast which is below the top of the areola. This section shall not apply to the breastfeeding of infants or to any person entertaining or performing in a play, exhibition, show or entertainment. Exposure of a person is a violation. Nothing in this section shall prevent the adoption by a city, town or village of a local law prohibiting exposure of a person as herein defined in a public place, at any time, whether or not such person is entertaining or performing in a play, exhibition, show or entertainment.