No Pants 2k8 Details for NYC

No Pants

All are invited to participate in the 7th Annual No Pants! Subway Ride. The event will take place at 3:00 PM on Saturday, January 12. Everything you need to know is in this email. Please read it carefully!

REQUIREMENTS FOR PARTICIPATION

1) Willing to take pants off on subway
2) Able to keep a straight face about it

**THIS IS A PARTICIPATORY EVENT. DO NOT SHOW UP UNLESS YOU PLAN TO TAKE YOUR PANTS OFF. THIS INCLUDES NEWS MEDIA**

DETAILS

When: Saturday, January 12 at 3:00 PM, Sharp! (Over by around 5:30)
Where: Meet at Foley Square at the black sculpture/fountain. It’s near the Brooklyn Bridge 6 train stop, between Centre and Lafayette, just north of Duane. (Google Map)
Bring: A backpack and a metro card.
Do not bring: A camera (don’t worry we are taking pictures)
Wear: Normal winter clothes (hat, gloves, etc)

Complete logistics below:

HOW IT WORKS

We will assemble in Foley Square at 3 PM. Please be on time. Feel free to be early.

When we’re organized, we will all head down to the Brooklyn Bridge 6 Train stop together. Do not talk to others once you enter the subway system. No one knows each other. We will wait for a train to arrive on the uptown side of the tracks and all board our assigned cars (follow your team leader). A man with a megaphone will confirm that it is time to board the train. We may let one train go before entering to make sure everyone is ready.

Sit in the car as you normally would. Read a magazine or whatever you would normally do. Your team leader will have already divided you into smaller groups, assigning your group a specific stop where you will depants. Sit near your group.

As soon as the doors shut at the stop before yours, stand up and take your pants off and put them in your backpack. If you’d like to use a briefcase, purse, grocery bag, or whatever instead of a backpack that’s fine too. You are responsible for your own pants and they should be with you at all times. If anyone asks you why you’ve removed your pants, tell them that they were “getting uncomfortable” (or something along those lines.)

Exit the train at your assigned stop and stand on the platform, pantless. This is a new change for No Pants 2k7. You will wait on the platform for the next 6 train to arrive. Stay in the exact same place on the platform so you enter the next train in the same car as you exited the last train.

When you enter , act as you normally would. You do not know any of the other pantless riders. If questioned, tell folks that you “forgot to wear pants” and yes you are “a little cold”. Insist that it is a coincidence that others also forgot their pants. Be nice and friendly and normal.

You can wear fun underwear if you like, but nothing that screams out “I wore this because I’m doing a silly stunt.” Wear two pairs of underwear if it makes you feel more comfortable. Don’t wear a thong or anything else that might offend people. Our aim is to make people laugh, not piss them off.

If you haven’t already, please take a moment to read the previous mission reports for the last six No Pants rides.

This is always a blast, and I’m really happy that you are taking part in it. You may bring along friends if you like, but make sure they get a chance to read all of these instructions.

See you on the 12th!

Comments

comments

68 Responses to No Pants 2k8 Details for NYC

1. Ed says:

Is it possible to request not to be videoed or photoed?

2. Charlie Todd says:

Ed,

It’s not really possible for our photographers and video people to single out individuals among a crowd of hundreds to not shoot… you can wear sunglasses or something if you don’t want your pantless image on the internet.

3. Brian says:

I assume this event is 18 and older. I can’t imagine that many children riding the subways pantsless alone, but IE has grown a lot. I’m over 18, but I’m just wondering if this assumption is true or not, wouldn’t want to see IE getting into any legal trouble.

4. Jeff says:

Brian-
    Its not illegal to wear underwear in public no matter what age, its still clothing. Look at the Naked Cowboy in times square, he doesn’t get in trouble for that, and everyone doing the no pants subway ride will have a lot more clothes than he does.

Sung Chiu-
    I’m from Penn State too, I’ve organized a few Improv Everywhere type things on campus and we’ll be doing a few next semester. Look for us if you’re interested!

5. Charlie Todd says:

Yes, to be clear, it is not illegal to be in public in NYC in your underwear. In fact, it’s legal for both men and women to be topless. We did have a run-in with a cop two years ago, but last year we had cops who showed up to help us out and make sure everything went smoothly. It was nice of them.

Anyone under the age of 18 should have the consent of their parents before doing any Improv Everywhere event.

6. JoAnn says:

Is it possible to contact the Washington DC organizer without going through facebook? I am not subscribed and would rather not do so if possible. Thank you!

7. Charlie Todd says:

As of now, no one has stepped up to be an organizer in DC. The only city with a confirmed organizer is Boston.

8. Elizabeth says:

Hey JoAnn,

I’ve just started a facebook group for Washington DC ( http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=6806011551 for anyone interested), but I’m definitely interested in recruiting people outside the facebook platform as well. Any ideas as to how to do this? Drop me a line at Elizabeth.Ody@gmail.com

9. Mike says:

Hey, I’ve got a question. The first post says that this thing’ll end around 5:30. But where will it be ending? Up in the Bronx, or closer to where we start?

10. Charlie Todd says:

“We will exit the train at 125th street. Pay attention so you don’t miss this stop. We will then repeat the mission back down to Union Square.”

11. Nada says:

Too bad I’m working on the 12th. Have fun everyone! :D

12. Baby Sinead says:

As a blogger would it be ok if I took pictures for my blog? I normally take pics on the train and platform anyways.

13. Charlie Todd says:

We have our own photographers taking care of the pictures. The event is for participants only. Otherwise it would end up being a bunch of people taking photos of each other, as pretty much everyone has a blog or facebook account they take pictures for.

14. Will says:

Is it common to wear “tighty whitey” underwear at this event? I think they are funnier than boxers.

15. Oz says:

Thanks for clarification on children I will be with my 15 YRO son. After all the youth are the future of IE.

16. T Brunner says:

Just out of curiosity, how much harassment by the public can a women participating in this even expect? Would it be be easier for us if we wore boxers?

17. Charlie Todd says:

Wear whatever you are comfortable in. Some women wear boxers, so don’t. In terms of harassment, we have not had any problems in the past. Remember you are one of hundreds of people together.

18. Jaclyn says:

My boyfriend and I will likely join this event, as there’s a lot to gain from being an exhibitionist. Unfortunately we need to attend a play at Lincoln Center that evening so we’ll embark to that area and not ride all the way to 125th.

You should definitely plan a party for all the pantless participants. Maybe even an event that would incorporate a little bar frolicking.

Can’t wait to see the faces in the crowd!

19. NASCAR says:

This is HILARIOUS!!! Wish I was able to make it.