Here are the full details for The Mp3 Experiment taking place on Wednesday, September 30 at University of Central Florida. Please take the time to read all of the instructions on this page.
Date: September 30 (rain or shine)
Location: Knight’s Plaza
Time: The event will begin at exactly 8:00 PM. Arrive early!
Bring: A bag (purse, backpack, messenger bag, shopping bag, etc.) that has the following items inside:
– a camera with a flash (An actual camera with an actual flash works better than a smart phone)
– a flash light
– Something that lights up that is not a camera or a flash light (should be able to fit in your backpack) (no laser pointers/fireworks/fire please)
– a glow stick (or glow ring or similar glow item)
– a mask (make your own if you don’t have one)
Full instructions below:
1. Download the audio file:
– iTunes Podcast Link (Best method for iPhones)
The track is available as a podcast in the iTunes store, and you can download it free to your iOS device using the built-in podcast app. Be sure to download the one that says “UCF”
– DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK (Android phones, saving to your desktop/laptop)
(Right click and save the link. If you just click on the link it will start playing in your browser. Spoilers!)
Note: The filename for the track is “mp3_experiment_night.mp3″ and the album and artist name will be “The Mp3 Experiment.”
2. Load the track onto your mp3 player (smart phone, etc.)
3. Do not listen to the track.
4. Bring the items listed above (flashlight, mask, glow stick, bright object, camera with flash)
5. Make sure your phone clock or your watch is synced to atomic time.
6. As 8:00 approaches, blend in with the area naturally as if nothing is up, and stand or sit anywhere in Knight’s Plaza. This is the area outside the CFE Arena on campus.
7. At exactly 8:00:00 PM, press play.
Frequently Asked Questions
Say what now?
If you’ve never heard of The Mp3 Experiment, check out our coverage of the past ten years. In addition to The Mp3 Experiment, Improv Everywhere organizes hilarious participatory public projects year round. Check out the rest of this site to see our work!
How will we know when to start?
You will have synchronized your watch or cell phone clock to atomic time. Press play at exactly 8:00 PM. If you have are having trouble figuring this out, press play with a friend.
Should I listen to the track beforehand?
Can I listen to the track beforehand?
You really shouldn’t. Sure, there’s nothing we can do to stop you, but to really get the full experience of the event, you shouldn’t listen to it. It will spoil most of the fun. We know it’s hard to resist. Be strong.
What if I get to the event late?
Press play at the start time wherever you may be, and hurry up! Obviously be safe and don’t rush when crossing streets, etc.
What if I don’t press play at exactly the right time?
If you can tell you are significantly off, feel free to glance at a neighbor’s device and try to sync back up to the correct time. You’ll have more fun if you’re more in sync.
Do I need to RSVP?
Nope. But you can RSVP on Facebook if you like: RSVP on Facebook
You must be logged in to post a comment.