Featuring: Kinney, Brady, Dickerson, Tesser, Shpuntov, Cassis, Todd, Villanti, Rainswept, Sung
Agents Cassis & Brady
A fake organization was born, Writers Against Piracy (WAP). The members of WAP would be published authors who were fed up with their intellectual property being “loaned” out for free in the public library system. A slogan was created, “Libraries = Napster for Books”. WAP would do for books what Metallica did for music. Utilizing Agent Sung’s brilliant graphic design, Todd created a website for the group (which can be viewed here), and he and Agent Kinney prepared for the protest.
Nine Improv Everywhere agents met at high noon in Bryant Park (located behind the main branch of the New York Public Library). It was freezing cold, and the forecast was for snow, but dedicated agents were ready to cause a scene at all costs. The mission was simple: never break character. The agents posed as members of the New York chapter of WAP. They were all published writers who truly believed that the library was stealing their royalties.. Their objective was not to instigate conflict with those passing by the library, but to attempt to convert them.
The protest begins
An open dialog
Agent Todd pleads his case while Villanti looks on
Shpuntov and Todd recruit
Agent Kinney explains the book he’s written, Websites for Free
- “Only crooks…Check out books!”
- “You’d don’t have permission…To read without commision!”
- “What do we want?” “Royalties!” “When do we want them?” “Now!”
Agent Todd draws a crowd
- Agent Kinney, “I got paid $0.25 when this library bought my book two years ago. Since then it’s been checked out over 200 times. I should at least be paid $0.25 times 200.”
- Agent Brady, “Why is it that when a programmer writes code it’s protected by copyright law? You can’t check out Windows XP from the library! Digital bias bites! We want our rights!”
- Agent Todd, “You don’t expect to check out a movie from Blockbuster for free based on the premise that you promise to return it!”
- Agent Cassis, “We want our rights! No pun intended!”
- Agent Shpuntov, “If you love books, then you will love our group!”
Agent Dickerson. ’nuff said.