The Amazing Hypnotist Redux

Featuring: King, Todd, Keech, Roche, Camper, Berman, Gemberling, Kinney, Spencer, Powell, Kula
DV Cams: Agent Powell and Agent Mark
Digital Photgraphy: Agent Kula
Mission Inspired by: Andy Kaufman and Bob Zmuda

Video edited by Josh Glaser. Produced by Agent Powell.

On October 18th, 2003 Improv Everywhere returned to Washington Square Park to stage a revival of The Amazing Hypnotist. Since the logistics of the mission are fully detailed on the report of our first conquest in July of 2002, this report will tell the story primarily though photos. Enjoy!

IE Agents meet at Astor Place

The Amazing Hypnotist (Agent King) arrives in
Washington Square Park and his assistant (Agent Todd)
draws a crowd and takes Agent Keech as the first volunteer.

Agent Keech is hypnotized into thinking he is an ostrich

Agents Roche and Camper (posing as strangers who do not know
each other) are taken from the crowd and interviewed by Agent Todd

The Amazing Hypnotist hypnotizes them into “falling in love” while the crowd grows

After their code word, “Pink”, is given by the Amazing Hypnotist,
the two begin showing signs of love

The two strangers get closer as their significant others
(Agents Kinney and Spencer) watch from the crowd

Agent Powell (far left) covertly films the crowd’s response

Agent Todd takes the next volunteer, Agent Berman

Agent Berman is hypnotized into thinking he is in a desert

The Amazing Hypnotist says Agent Berman’s code word

He takes off his sweater (it was around 50 degrees)

After drinking an entire bottle of water, he begins to chug Gatorade

Drenched in red Gatorade

The Amazing Hypnotist hands Agent Berman a towel
and brings him back to reality.

Agent Gemberling is the next volunteer. Agent Todd informs him
that he will be hypnotized into thinking he’s a stripper.

Gemberling undergoes the hypnosis

After the code word is said, he immediately sheds his jacket.

The Amazing Hypnotist begins to call the code words of
the previous volunteers.

The Amazing Hypnotist and his assistant flee the park, running as
fast as they can, leaving all of the volunteers behind, still hypnotized.

Agents Kinney and Spencer try to get their significant
others back while Agents Roche and Camper continue to kiss

AFTERMATH

Agents Todd and King sprinted away from the park, leaving behind a chaotic scene. The hypnotized agents stayed in character as shocked audience members tried to figure out how to help them. They began shouting out the code words for each individual. People were coming up to Agents Roche and Camper and yelling “Pink! Pink! Pink!” at them while they continued locking lips. One man chased down Agent Keech, shouting “Ostrich!,” hoping he could snap him out of his animal state.

Agent Gemberling continued to strut his shirtless body through the crowd as Agent Berman desperately asked crowd members for water. He nearly tackled one man who held his ice cream cone above his head out his Berman’s reach. Other members of the crowd shouted, “Give him the ice cream! He thinks he’s in a desert!” The man refused. Desperate, Agent Berman ultimately resorted to licking up water from a puddle on the ground.

Agents Kinney and Spencer eventually became fed up with their significant others and left the park exasperated and alone.

Berman, Gemberling, and Keech slowly trickled their way out of the park while Agents Roche and Camper continued to kiss. The two wound up sitting on a bench together staring at each other, lovingly. A man who had witnessed the event approached them:

Man: Do you two know each other?
Roche: We just met.
Man: Do you know you have a girlfriend?
Roche: What are you talking about?
Man: Do you two know that you are hypnotized!?!?

Pause (Roche and Camper stare at him blankly).

Man: You are going to think I’m crazy, but you have been hypnotized.
Camper: (patronizingly) Ohhh…ok. Thank you very much, sir.
Man: I know you think I’m crazy. You are hypnotized right now!
Camper: (with a smirk) Thank you very much for telling us.
Man: I’m not crazy!

(Man walks away.)

Mission Accomplished.

Comments

comments

40 Responses to The Amazing Hypnotist Redux

1. Amelyn says:

You. Guys. Are. Fantastic.
    very original interesting ideas, i first started watching with the Food Musical and just kept going from mission to mission after that.
    we just had a time freeze here in perth a couple weeks ago, it was POURING and heaps of people froze but it wasn’t as well done as your Grand Central one. (: KEEP DOING WHAT YOURE DOING!

2. IE junkie says:

In case my name doesn’t give it away……… i love Improve Everywhere

3. Lauren says:

Wow, that’s just soo great! i saw the previous one, and i loved it! this one was even better, what with the whole love thing.
    i think the desert guy is the same in both the first and second tho…

4. kamakula says:

Reminds me of the upright citizens brigade. They had a amazing hypnotist gag too.

5. Kirara says:

OMG. This one was even better than the first. I really love the fact that you used a real couple for the making-them-fall-in-love part. LOL! And the ostrich…that was priceless. I laughed out loud when I read that the desert guy had actually licked from a puddle. LOL! I would have been scared to! And the stripper…LOL. Classic.
    “They broke up a goddamn couple!” <–BEST. REACTION. EVER. (Even though presumably they had broken up 2. LOL.)

6. Oh man! This is even better than the original! Insanely hilarious! “you might think I’m just a crazy New Yorker, but you’re hypnotized!” is my favorite line. That’s awesome awesome awesome. I SO wish I lived in NY!

7. MamaBug says:

Dear lord. I really really really want to participate. In anything. This is great.

8. this is incredible and i love it. hope i can join one of your missions when i get to new york next jan 2009.this is a great performance art.

9. Candy says:

Hysterical. Absolutely HYSTERICAL.

10. Bridget says:

Poor Gemberling! i could never even think about
    taking my shirt and pants off in the middle of a park! still, this
    happens to be one of my favorites.

11. razz says:

That was great, him running away was genius

12. Thea says:

OMG!! that was sooooooo funny!!!!!!!!! I laffed soo hard!!

13. Loz says:

This should be done again… but next time, take some unwitting people from the crowd, pretend you have hyp-notised them, and have the audience be rigged to keep laughing at them, as though they are hypnotised.. that should freak them out. Or just say a code word, and have the audience make out they have just broken out of a trance, so they have no idea what just happened…!

14. Eli says:

I am doing a re-enactment of that exact same thing in Portland Oregon! I’ll send it to this website and see if they’ll post it

15. PoorOldEdgarDerby says:

Yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a bunch of strangers jump on Charles when he started making out with her.

16. Raychel says:

That was tooooo funny you should try that agian! I laughed too hard. The agents played thier parts well. This is just as good as the Food Court Musical.

17. Anna says:

This is a great one! My friend and I are plotting a burst-out of singing on a bus in my town, and this is a great way for us to get inspired. I heard of the redhead protest from a (gullible) friend of mine, and since i’m a redhead she thought I should watch the video and she was talking carefully because she didn’t want to “offend” me, lol! Wish I could become an agent!

18. Brittney says:

Oh man that was priceless.. When they ran away that was awesome!!! Everyone was freaking out.. Keep up the good work guys!!!

19. Lauren says:

Wow…how freakin HILARIOUS and GENIUS. You guys are so incredibly brilliant and incredible at what you do. Bravo **standing ovation**

To any of the negative comments left- I say this, “Lighten UP!”

Thanks for making life interesting